SOS HURT DUCK

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BecBettencourt, Oct 9, 2016.

1. BecBettencourt

BecBettencourt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2015
    Meridian, Idaho
    Hello, my 1 year old duck has had a limp for a couple weeks but has had no scab or open wound. I left on vacation and the care giver noticed that his other leg was swollen. I came home today and looked at his foot. It has a scab the size of a ping pong ball and is extremely swollen. He is very clumsy and falls down all the time, I assume he tripped and hurt his foot. Please help, he won't walk he just lays down... I don't know what to do. I am going to try epsom salt, and maybe colorless iodine. I already tried to put bacitracin on it but he immediately gets it dirty. My dad also won't let me bring him inside, so I might put him in a clean box outside. Someone please advise me on what to do!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I wonder if it's bumble foot?? The scab is on the underside? If it is bumble foot it is treatable but you'll have some work ahead of you. Type 'duck bumble foot' into the BYC search box and explore some old threads to see if it sounds like that's what your duck has and how to treat it. Good luck to you! :)

3. BecBettencourt

BecBettencourt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2015
    Meridian, Idaho
    Thank you! It is on the bottom side, so I'll do some research!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by