SOS! I think that my broody hen has scaly leg !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oliviaelizabeth, May 22, 2019.

1. oliviaelizabeth

oliviaelizabeth Chirping

Apr 3, 2019
    Please please help me!

I went to check on my broody hen, who is in a separate chicken coop day and night to the other hens, and I noticed that not only does she have lice ( which I have been treating) but I believe that she may have scaly leg!
    So I put some vaseline on her legs/feet in a upwards motion.
    I am going to keep doing this for a week.
    I will add some pictures below of her feet.
    Have I done the right thing?
    Please help.

Attached Files:

Shadrach likes this.
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

How old is your hen?

It doesn't look like SLM to me ... but treating won't hurt.

What are you treating the lice with?

Sequel and Silkiesarefluffydinos like this.
  3. oliviaelizabeth

oliviaelizabeth Chirping

Apr 3, 2019
    My hens is no older than 2 years old.
    What do you think it could be?
    I am using this Powder you put in the food.

4. BugStalker

BugStalker Songster

Feb 2, 2016
    What kind of powder? I use permethrin powder, which goes in the feathers. Wood Ash can also be used in the feathers, but isn't as powerful. Lice need to basically come in contact with these powders. Some lice are resistant to treatments like ivermectin.

Sequel and EggSighted4Life like this.
  5. oliviaelizabeth

oliviaelizabeth Chirping

Apr 3, 2019
    A white powder

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Is it labeled for use in feed AND to kill lice... or is it something like diatomaceous earth? Can you post a pic of the label? Or does it have an active ingredient?

Older hens can get dry scales... they will sometimes even fall off and are replaced with fresh ones underneath.

When I took one hen to the vet to check for SLM... he said they would look like fingernail growth coming out from under the scales. Now I'm fairly bad about making out detail in pics... so please use your best judgement on what you are seeing.

I like permethrin a lot as it works very effectively, is affordable, and easy to use, requiring no withdrawal for eggs and safe on chicks... however I prefer a spray/spritz to ANY powder... which shakes into the air every time they shake out.

ETA: some lice are resistant to the permethrin as well... but if you haven;t over used a specific product... it may still be effective in your area as it is in mine. Ivermectin requires some withdrawal for eggs and is not approved for use in poultry as residual effect has not been widely studied... however it can be very effective... works on SLM and lice, and some intestinal worm species as well... in addition to many other things.

7. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Not scaly leg mite. I don't know what the medical term for it is, if there is one but that looks like foot rot to me.
    Every now and then a sitting hen here gets it.
    Apparently the heat generated under the hen creates ideal condition for this (bacteria apparently) to thrive.
    I am told that damp hay, urine in the bedding and a fungus much like athletes foot can cause this.
    Vaseline on it's own wont fix it.
    Coat her foot in Betadine. Clean out all the bedding and replace with clean dry straw.

BugStalker and oliviaelizabeth like this.
  8. oliviaelizabeth

oliviaelizabeth Chirping

Apr 3, 2019
    THANKYOU SO MUCH!
    This is so helpful!
    I will do exactly what you have said!
    Thankyou!!

BugStalker and Shadrach like this.
  9. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    You may need to apply the Betadine two, or three times.
    If it doesn't show signs of improving then I'm wrong and you need to look for other reasons. :)

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is she setting on eggs now ? If so any treatment MAY interfere with the development.

Sequel, BugStalker and Shadrach like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: