SOS! I think that my broody hen has scaly leg !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oliviaelizabeth, May 22, 2019.

1. oliviaelizabeth

oliviaelizabeth Chirping

Apr 3, 2019
    Yes of course.
    Thankyou!

Sequel likes this.
  2. oliviaelizabeth

oliviaelizabeth Chirping

Apr 3, 2019
    Thankyou so much!

Sequel likes this.
  3. BugStalker

BugStalker Songster

Feb 2, 2016
    I had trouble with mites resistant to permethrin, resistant lice wouldn't surprise me. An organism that survives a treatment will breed other organisms that also tend to be resistant to that treatment, so it is good to rotate treatments. I also prefer spray, but didn't know of one safe for animals when I bought the powder.

Sequel and EggSighted4Life like this.
  4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

That's why it's important to treat the second time according to the directions... catch the next generation and disrupt the life cycle completely. :thumbsup

Rotating product is one good way to help avoid resistance. But also not just using it on a schedule.. but rather only WHEN NEEDED..

Prevention is more like not doing things to invite wild birds or animals to your property by hanging feeders and such.

The spray I got is this one for...
    [​IMG]

But it comes in many brand names and even concentrated where you dilute and use you own squirt bottle.. Martin's, etc..

When treating chicks.. I use a soaked cotton swab to help avoid eyes and such.

ETA: Though it is labeled for use in chickens I have never seen it in the poultry location at the store. Always the equine section.

BugStalker and Sequel like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: