SOS newly hatched chick

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tigersjake, Sep 7, 2014.

1. tigersjake

tigersjake Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2014
    Hammond La.
    I need some help. I put a few quail eggs under a broody chicken and the first one hatched today. What I need help with is do I take it away from the hen and put it in the brooder or leave it in with the hen. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

First off I have to get on my soap box and say that chickens carry several diseases that they are resistant to but are fatal to quail. Coryza, MG, Blackhead and many more diseases can be transferred by contact as well as a gaggle of parasites.

I wouldn't put these quail you're hatching now around any other quail. Currently we don't have to worry much about quail passing disease around because they just don't carry them, but if people keep putting them with chickens that is going to change in the near future.

Ok now that I'm off the box...

As an experiment a member on here let a broody bantam hatch some quail eggs. She hatched 15 chicks and left in her care every single one died within two weeks. Most of them she stepped on and squished.

So short answer is put in a brooder and raise it yourself if you want it to live.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by