SOS -- what is this called?

acceabex

Songster
May 2, 2017
Southeast Missouri
I have a post on Meyer Hatchery on the chicken board. This is an extension of that but with ducks (shipped from Metzer that I've had good luck with). I only ended up with the 4 chicken losses and the one cross beak. The ducks were doing well up through 3.5 weeks, but they all died within the last 24 hours.

Back story: Yesterday, their light burnt out. It was quickly replaced from my stash because it's cold. The room has sufficient ventilation and I was not concerned with off gasing (I've replaced these lights before but that doesn't mean something with production hasn't changed). I also saw some intestinal line schluff off, but nothing out of the ordinary. I woke up to 2 dead this morning unexpectedly. Thinking maybe it was the new light, I replaced the new light with another new light. This evening the remaining 6 ducks died within 30 minutes of each other.

Symptoms before death: All ducks go from running around acting fine to getting shaky, then collapse, then strain to breath, then simply expire. All within a 30 minute time period from death 3 through 8.

Background on brooding: They are brooded in an extra bath tub, with puppy pads on the floor, same I've always used for these and prior ducks. They eat Mazuri waterfowl starter. I didn't substitute with niacin, but that wouldn't cause death so quickly (I've seen low niacin before). Water available. Correct temperature. This is a brand new bag of Mazuri starter... I'm about at the point of wondering if this feed is contaminated. I can give Purina a call in the morning, if we can't come up with something.

It's driving me nuts, I know what this is but can't think of the name. Can you help me out with the cause of death? Also -- do I now need to bomb my house? I keep a closed flock and no one was introduced to my big ducks... But I wouldn't rule out contamination on my clothes. Do I need to be concerned for the big ones? Or better, can I do something to prevent this "it" in the big ducks...

If I could just remember the name, I'd feel better! Thanks for reading and helping me brainstorm.

Found it, I think: https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/Sects/duck/health.cfm

Duck Virus hepatitis
Duck virus hepatitis is a highly fatal contagious disease of young ducklings, 1-28 days of age. Ducklings are most susceptible at the younger ages and gradually become more resistant as they grow older. The disease is rarely seen in ducklings over 4 weeks of age. The onset of the disease is very rapid, it spreads quickly through the flock and may cause up to 90% mortality. Sick ducklings develop spasmodic contractions of their legs and die within an hour in a typical "arched-backward" position. The liver is enlarged and shows hemorrhagic spots. To prevent this disease, keep age groups isolated and vaccinate breeder ducks with an attenuated live virus duck hepatitis vaccine (to produce maternally immune ducklings).

Where would that have come from? If someone says a hatchery, I'm done with hatcheries.

I dropped the girls off this morning (I ended up choosing the vet school and not the state vet). He thinks they'll have the slides back tomorrow and answers on Wednesday. The pattern of deaths is consistent with feed, but this would be two bags (one from a feed store, another straight from Purina). If the necropsy rules out communicable diseases, analyzing the feed is the next step.

Thank you all for brainstorming and offering suggestions. I'll update again when I know more.

I did get the final report today, but haven't had a chance to talk with either the vet at the University or my vet.

Salmonella is the cause of death. But I'm very curious where it came from and how my girls ended up with it. I'll circle around with the University vet Monday to see if there's any next steps, ask about incorporating the survivors into my flock, etc.

Thank you all so much for the help and support. I'll post a resolution with vet instructions in the event this thread is ever unearthed.

Back
Top Bottom