Sound like molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickenchick, Aug 28, 2008.

1. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Please forgive me. I did a search and didn't find enough info to make me feel better. If you have a link please share it with me. I am quite worried about Selena, our bantam cochin. I noticed she missed a day of egg laying day before yesterday.(she laid yesterday) I konw thats not a big deal its just that she lays everyday without fail. I decided to pay close attention to her just in case. I saw her in the nesting box off and on all day. Yesterday she went to bed (roost) several hours before everyone else. She usually is not one that I can pick up or even touch. This morning instead of being the first one out of the coop she stayed in bed. I was able to pet her. Not like her at all. I spent all day in town. She was in the nesting box at 10 am and still at 330 pm. I reached in and picked her up after petting her for a few minutes. She just made a cooing noise. When I slid my hand under her I noticed she is missing tons of feathers from her breast area. Is this molting? She was hatched the end of Feb. What else should I look for and is there something thAt I should be doing for her? Thank you. Sorry this is so long. [​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I cut up a grape and placed in front of her. She gobbled it right up so I gave her a few more. Everytime I go to check on her there is an EE laying on top of her in the nest box. I had an idea so I set an egg that was laid by one of the other girls( it is alot larger than Selenas eggs) right in front of her. She rolled it right under her and puffed up then settled down. Could it be she is broody? That doesn't explain the feaher loss though. UGH!! I feel so, so, so.... much like newbie!! Does one ever learn it ALL??

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:When a hen goes broody, the first thing she does is pull out the feathers on her breast to help keep the eggs and chicks warm.......

Do a search on broody hens.... I know there is a ton of info on this site about broody hens... [​IMG]

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You are so good to care so wonderfully about your feathered friend. If she has gone broody you will have the task of trying to make sure she eats and drinks enough because she may not want to get off the "nest".

When you do the search recommended above you'll be able to determine whether you want to let her be broody or whether you want to break her of it....

Hope all will be well.
    JJ

5. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thank you both of you. [​IMG] I did a search on broody hens and whoa!! I am pretty sure that is what is happening. I think it would be so beautifull to let nature run its coarse and let her continue. I will do some more research before I decide. Have any of you let yours go broody? If so would you do it again or do you suggest trying to stop her? I am a stay at home Mom and have the time to tend to her. I appreciate your wisdom. Thank you so much for your replies.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I've never had a hen go broody and with my work schedule, I hope it doesn't happen! Though I'm sure it's a tremendous treat having adorable little chicklets around with a doting momma hen.
    Let us know how it goes!
    JJ

7. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I sure will! Thanks [​IMG]

8. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:Yes, we have let our Jersey Black Giant hen, Lou, raise 2 clutches. She started going broody when she was 6 months old, but we didn't let her remain broody and hatch chicks until she was over a year old.

Last year she hatched one of her eggs and an egg from our Partridge Plymouth Rock, we got 2 pullets who just turned 1 year old.

This year, we had to adopt day old chicks from a friend, as the eggs under Lou didn't hatch by day 26. So now we have 6 week old chicks being raised by Lou. She has 2 Cuckoo Marans, 2 Cochin and 1 Cuckoo Marans-Cochin mix chicks.

I would suggest that if you are going to let your hen hatch a clutch of eggs, that you put her in seclusion. She won't be hassled by the flock and the eggs will be safer.

Having a mama hen raise the chicks is completely different from hand raising your hatchery or incubated chicks. A good mama hen will do everythng, including keeping the chicks warm and teaching them about food and danger. They are adorable to watch in the farmyard. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by