Soundproof Sheetrock

Has anyone tried sound proof sheetrock in their coop? Seriously. I thought I was ready for this noise but apparently not!
I am not aware of "soundproof" sheetrock but when I was playing carpenter, we would insulate walls to help keep sound from passing through. This was done on interior walls that would not normally be insulated.

Has anyone tried sound proof sheetrock in their coop? Seriously. I thought I was ready for this noise but apparently not!
Haha! THIS... As I’m lying here in my bed this glorious Sunday morning, the ONLY day this week I had to sleep in, and contemplating the murder of “the screamer”. (the most obnoxious and loud chicken on the planet- who thinks she’s the rooster- and who also earns “the squirt bottle treatment” at least once a day too..)
My advice would be to get an automatic door so they can get out early in the morning. That’s the reason that mine are carrying on- they didn’t want to sleep in, and they want OUT of that coop! They’re quiet again once I turn them loose! (Lying here hoping SOMEONE in this house will hear them and get up and go let them out so they’ll SHUT. UP.! But they won’t!)
At least it’s comforting to know I’m not the only one. But I’m questioning myself that you’re contemplating sheetrock, while I’m over here contemplating chicken homicide. Hehe! Good luck!

Edit- Ah, I see guineas. Missed that. Don’t know anything about them- but if they’re anything like chickens- my advice still stands. Get them preoccupied. Lol.

Last edited:
Sound proof sheetrock isn't necessarily the rock itself, more to do with the methods used to hang it. It's well above what I would recommend as far as expense in a coop. A true soundproof room, eg. Recording studio, runs thousands of dollars. Sound travels best in solids then liquid then gasses. To soundproof you need to create a system of baffles and gaps. Not practical for a coop. You could try redirecting the sound. Hard flat surfaces will tend to direct some of the noises away. Some sections of privacy fence between coop and area you want noises reduced could help. If you post some pictures of coop and the affected area I may be able to recommend more.

Current state of coop. Suggestions welcome!!! These little assclowns are still in my porch. I work from home and about to lose my mind. Last week I told my husband if they are not in their coop by Monday they will be dinner. That’s not going to happen nor will I make them dinner YET but I am very close to it! Within my dinner plan I can’t help but to think of ways to muffle the noise when in the coop
BFB1686A-73AC-42A5-9F14-E27A38D94671.jpeg

“Assclowns”. Omg- SO RELATABLE, lady!! I’m dying over here. Pretty sure I called my chickens that, and a few other choice little epithets this morning (“asshats” is my own personal standard “go to”- but I think I’ll adopt yours as well!) And I was sleeping SO WELL (for once this week) too!

Good luck on your coop! Put it somewhere that isn’t close to windows on your house too- utilize your house insulation to your advantage as well? Downwind? Here’s a link to a prior post about noise here on BYC too. (Chicken.. Guinea fowl... noise is noise!)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-do-you-sound-proof-a-coop.510042/

Here’s an idea from “StarrWulf” on the link that I provided. Others suggested moving blankets and putting thick styrofoam on the walls as well. I think it’s peafowl they’re discussing on that thread. Sounds like they must be loud- I don’t have any personal experience. A few comments about peacocks as well, and I know they’re loud!

“WOW.. i knew they were loud...
barnie.gif
when i lived in kansas i could hear the neighbors and he was a mile away... as for sound redirection, I was not wanting to be sound proof, but just redirect it up and away :cool: I am building another coop to do just that. The coop I have now I have old carpet over top and on 3 sides to dampen the noise in every direction I do not want it to go.
D.gif
As it is, just using the carpet dampens the sound to a level you would have to strain to hear it inside. Outside, it sounds like it comes from down the road a bit (which keeps me in the clear). definately ALOT quieter than the dogs my neighbors have.
wee.gif

I will still use old carpet on the outside to dampen what sound escapes. I am considering using the concrete siding boards to help redirect.”

Looks like it will be a nice coop. I would suggest placing your windows, doors and vents on sides away from where noise will be a factor. As earlier, some wood fence between coop and house will help. The majority of their noises will be made outside the coop in the run. Which makes control more difficult. While it may not be an immediate fix. Planting tall ornamental grasses, or densly leaved shrubs will help diffuse some if the sound as they grow. Using insulation in the coop can reduce sound, but it has to be closed on both sides to prevent eating it. For some reason birds find insulation delicious. The issue with closing the walls is it gives rodents and insects a safe haven to hide and infestation the coop. Weigh the options when deciding to insulate. I don't agree with the idea of hanging carpet on the outside. Inside may be an option. On the outside it will trap moisture against the coop causing it to remain damp, accelerating decomposition and rotting away the wood. Staying damp may also increase risk of cold injury to the birds.

Lol. I just got guineas as well and got rid of the first set. They were in the growing pen too long. I got them at 7 weeks early in the season. By the time I got my coop built they were too old. I would have to flush them from the coop and herd them in at night. They were anxious about getting away from the coop and would circle it half the day and spend the other half laying at the edge of the woods. They were skittish and buckwheated constantly. I kept one little lavender with a hurt leg that is very quiet. I had another set of 8 whites that are younger and I put them in the coop at 4 weeks. They stayed in a pen for a few days to integrate with the others. Then, I let them loose in the run and coop. I left the door open to the run all day at 5 weeks. By 6 weeks they came out on their own and free range wonderfully. They go out and put themselves up on their own. They have the help of the older lav guinea, 4 light brahma pullets they were raised with, and my 2 older pullets. They are not skittish at all. I think the earlier you can get them in the coop and then free ranging the better. They are much more relaxed with their surroundings and coop and free ranged trained in the matter of a couple weeks. Guineas need room to roam. Now I'm not saying this batch will be quiet, but they are much more self assured and buckwheat much less so far.

Back
Top Bottom