Sounds coming from the egg, how long a chick will take time to come out or break the egg shell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cuteubbi, Feb 10, 2014.

1. cuteubbi

cuteubbi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    Hello everyone,

i am hatching eggs first time in incubator, today is 21st day and i just heard sounds from eggs...but eggs are not even cracked...so, my question is how long chicks will take time to comeout from the eggs? pls help...i am thinking to open the incubator and try to break the shells myself...will it be ok?

hope to hear soooooon

thnx and regards

2. cuteubbi

Jun 25, 2013
    any ideas?

3. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    From what I have read on here that means the chick has internally pipped, that is if by "sounds" you mean chirping. I think it can take 12-24 hours before the external pip happens. I think after the external pip it can be another 12 hours or so before they zip out. Hatching isn't a very quick process.

I'm not 100% positive because I just now set my eggs two days ago. I am sure someone on here will be able to offer you a more accurate answer. Good luck with your babies.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    In my experience, from this point it could take anything from 12-30 hours before the chick hatches. You should see an external pip within the next few hours, after which the chick will take a lengthy break before zipping the shell and completing the hatch. I've had chicks rest up to 19 hours between external pip and zip, so don't worry if it seems like they are taking too long. Keep the humidity between 65% and 75% and good luck with the hatch!

5. cuteubbi

Jun 25, 2013
    oh thanks, means i have to wait another day to say them hi:)

6. cuteubbi

Jun 25, 2013

thnx for a detailed answer...:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by