Soup stock. Ive got some questions

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by burntmuch, Sep 24, 2011.

1. burntmuch

burntmuch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    OK My wife cooked up the last of our freedom rangers the other day. She cooked it in the crockpot. It was really good. Well she put the left overs in the fridge, We,re making chicken noodle soup today. She pulled out the left overs & the stock. Well the soup stock was all gelled up. It had the consistancy of jello. Now Im betting that it taste good, but wow, is that pure fat or what. Our idea was to add water to it. We,re looking for a healthy soup. So is this healthy. Now some background info. My freedom rangers were pretty fatty. I fed them too much corn.

2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    The fat will rise to the top and will form a yellow crust. The jelling is from gelatin in the bones.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That stock will melt back to liquid as soon as it is warmed back up.

The fat will have floated to the top and formed a layer over the top. You can tell which is which. The fat is a different color.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Also, if you are going for healthy, the layer of fat will be really easy to remove while the broth is still cold. Then the jelled broth goes into you soup and it melts back into liquid.

5. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Actually what you made is a real chicken stock, not chicken broth. That is the difference, broth is made from the meat and a stock will be made from bones, meat, ligaments, ect of the animal. What you are seeing is perfectly normal and extremely good for you! [​IMG] The gelatin in the bones and joints has melted into the water, it will reliquify when you heat it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  6. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    What you've got there is gelatin, from chicken bones instead of pig, horse, and cow hooves. The fat will always be on top, whether hot or cold. When chilled, the fat will be a solid color and easily skimmed, scooped/scraped from the top of the pot if you want to remove it. The gelled part is translucent, i.e., you can see into it.

I make a stock out of what's left of just about every chicken we eat, whether it's the carcass left after carving a roasted bird (depending on how I spiced and seasoned the roaster, I have to remember to hold back on flavoring the soup) or what's left after cutting up a raw chicken for frying.

Summers, I lean toward chicken veggie soup. Winters, the layer come in handy for the occasional egg to make and roll out homemade noodles for something a little heartier. I give away frozen chicken stock about like surplus eggs to friends and family and still manage to eat a lot of chicken soup. [​IMG]

7. burntmuch

burntmuch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    Awesome. We scooped of most of the fat then used the geleton ,added some meat, veggies , & water. let simmer for a bit, then added some dumplings. It was pretty awesome, The kids loved it. Glad to hear its healthy. Thanks for the info folks.

8. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

So glad it worked out for you!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by