Sour Crop and possibly Peritonitis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pwand, Oct 17, 2013.

1. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Notice my pullet that is about 28 weeks old was having diahhrea yesterday with a bit of yellow in it. This morning felt all crops and one was squishy not flat. She dropped an egg which is not normal. Im thinking Peritonitis and her having sour crop. These pullets started laying soft shelless eggs from the beginning of their lay and lose them at night for the past couple of months. In between may have some normal eggs. I have done everything trying to get their shells to harden, good feed, oyster shells, feeding their shells broken up. I have three of them, two with soft shells. I have dealt with sour crop with success, not peritonitis. There doesn't seem to be much success with this, thought about the antibiotics, however, not good with sour crop. She still very vibrate, lots of lose diahhrea.

I brought her in and have taken her food away. Now debating on what to do. Here is a picture of the her poop with the egg. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Are all you hens doing this to some extent, how many hens do you have? How many soft eggs vs regular eggs do you think you have been getting? Have they been sick at all that you know of? I would wonder about infectious bronchitis or egg drop syndrome also with a lot of birds not laying normally starting the problem.

3. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I have six hens, three pullets. Two pullets with soft eggs every so many days in the poop. The pullets were sneezing when i got them for about five days as chicks. The older birds are fine, so that should rule out egg drop. I just spoke to a fellow on the phone and he seen the picture and thinks she lost her oviduct. If this is the case, I wonder if she will die. She was laying double yolk eggs. It seems there not getting enough calcium. He is suggesting vitamin D.

4. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www.avianweb.com/eggproblems.html http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1003/factors-influencing-shell-quality From what you said it sure sounds like your birds are getting enough calcium for any normal chicken, you might have a problem with the calcium/D3 ratio or your water maybe? Or something is going on with their shell glands. No or soft shelled eggs here and there when they start laying is pretty normal, it is just weird that you have multiple birds doing it to the extent they seem to be.

6. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    She has dropped a soft shelled double yolk egg tonight and another egg that has no shell thats flat looking. I gave her a calcium tablet and magnesium to see if that will help her. I have heard this is normal in the beginning, its been going on for about two months. I would think she would straighten out soon. I have never seen pullets do this before. My other older birds eggs are really nice and hard. Same feed.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I turned off the supplement light in the coop and they are no longer dropping shelless eggs. Now the pullets are laying normal eggs. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by