Sour crop and yeast treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DS17, May 5, 2017.

1. DS17

DS17 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2015
    I have read where some have had success with treating sour crop with monistat. Was wondering if I could use Lotrim (antifungal for feet) instead. It's what I have on hand. Any thoughts? Thank you!

2. SusanMarieYork

SusanMarieYork Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2015
    I do not believe you can. I did have a vet says its okay to use a little miconazole. I used equate, $5.57 at Walmart if you order online. I broke the suppositories into several pieces and she swallowed them fine. I gave her nystatin for 3 or 4 days days it did not work at all so I treated her with miconazole 1 time a day and nystatin 1 time a day for about 5 days. I massaged her crop several times a day. I then gave probiotics. She is fine now. Good luck

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  3. DS17

DS17 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2015
    Thank you for your reply! I was able to pick some up at the store and I'll start her on them today. So far she is doing better, small crop and eating scrambled eggs. I'm adding probiotics to her food as well as acv in her water. Hopefully she keeps improving!

4. SusanMarieYork

SusanMarieYork Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2015
    Is her crop moving? It does take a while for crops to move sometime if there is yeast in them. But it sounds like you keep your eyes on them and caught it early.

5. DS17

DS17 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2015
    So far so good. We'll see how things go as she gets back with the flock.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by