Sour Crop, broody hen

mando4mary74

Chirping
Aug 24, 2018
I have a broody hen who I noticed has a sour crop this morning. She had some drainage from her beak and it was definitely soured. I immediately took her food and gently massaged the crop in a downward motion for a few minutes. She smacked her beak and had some gurgling at that time. She is already isolated since she is broody and is in her own little coop. Is there anything else I should do? How long do I take her food? She is active and grooming when she leaves the nest. She wants to eat too. Thanks for any help. This is my first broody hen. I just don't want her to get sicker!

@azygous

So it smells yeasty? A common remedy for fermentation is anti-thrush antibiotics, probably most easily accessed in the form of nystatin. A little shortening or coconut oil can help ease any blockage.

Good luck.

@azygous

So it smells yeasty? A common remedy for fermentation is anti-thrush antibiotics, probably most easily accessed in the form of nystatin. A little shortening or coconut oil can help ease any blockage.

Good luck.
Yes definitely a yeasty smell. How do I give her the coconut oil or shortening...just straight...Thanks so much.

Does her crop feel hard and lumpy? Is it extremely full and does it reek of a smell similar to sauerkraut?

If so, she may have impacted crop along with sour crop. The procedure I recommend is to treat the impaction first with solid state coconut oil since it's easier to get into the beak without it getting all over you. Start with a teaspoon full and very gently massage the crop in the lower portion, staying away from the top to prevent her vomiting.

This has more information. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Does her crop feel hard and lumpy? Is it extremely full and does it reek of a smell similar to sauerkraut?

If so, she may have impacted crop along with sour crop. The procedure I recommend is to treat the impaction first with solid state coconut oil since it's easier to get into the beak without it getting all over you. Start with a teaspoon full and very gently massage the crop in the lower portion, staying away from the top to prevent her vomiting.

This has more information. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Her crop is soft and boggy. Not hard at all. I have a dropper and put a little oil in it and gave her a little just now.

If there are no hard masses in the crop, and it just feels spongy, you're probably just dealing with a yeast infection. Oil and massage aren't called for.

Instead, get some miconazole from the pharmacy where the women's hygiene products are. Follow the instructions in my article. She should start to feel much better by tomorrow, but it's important to treat her twice a day for a full seven days.

If there are no hard masses in the crop, and it just feels spongy, you're probably just dealing with a yeast infection. Oil and massage aren't called for.

Instead, get some miconazole from the pharmacy where the women's hygiene products are. Follow the instructions in my article. She should start to feel much better by tomorrow, but it's important to treat her twice a day for a full seven days.
Awesome, thank you very much. I appreciate the response!

Back
Top Bottom