sour crop chicken died and pooped blood?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hennyhandler, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I had a silkie chicken that I found today sick. I realized it was sour crop. Her crop was large and squishy. I started to take care of it but she looked pretty bad off and she died not a little bit later. The thing is as she died she pooped a bloody liquid. Is this normal? I can't understand why this would have happened. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

She may have had coccidia ontop of her other condition. I'm sorry you lost her...

3. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    She didn't have blood in her poop at any other time though. Just right as she died. Would it have happened this suddenly without any symptoms or signs?

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I'm not sure, I only had a chicken poo blood when dieing after an injury, not sour crop...unless she injested something sharp......

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Chances are she had sour/irritated crop for some time. Sour crop is caused by overgrowth of bacteria in a crop that isn't emptying well. The bacteria continue to grow throughout the length of the GI tract. I would contribute it to bacterial colitis as a complication of a more severe case of sour crop.

6. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Is Coccidia something that I would not have noticed the symptoms until it was too late? I have heard about blood in the stools as a main symptom to help you know. I just never saw anything like that until right as she died. I had seen her the day before and there was nothing unusual about her. She had looked a little ragged but the roos and been bugging her and I had removed them and feathers were coming back in so she had that look about her. I have looked for symptoms of Coccida and can't really find anything definite besides the blood.
    I feel nurse_turtle has a good point and sounds right but I just don't want to dismiss this if it could be something else. I have some benfenzadole (sp?) the kind that comes for horses that has been recommended for coccidia and worms. Should I go ahead and give this to the rest of my chickens?

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Too much, or unnecessary, use of antibiotics can needlessly stress the renal and hepatic systems. I choose not to treat the asymptomatic.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It is true that the over use of medications can cause troubles......the problem with chickens is they can be dead before you figure out what to treat them with and vets that will even see a chicken are few and far between not to mention the cost. So I treat by what I see. If she showed no ther symptoms before, then I'd pass on treatment of the others for now. Worming with safeguard will not hurt them, if they have not been wormed for awhile...l then I would as a preventative to other issues. But that is your choice...if all else is fine then no need.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have read from experienced chicken keepers that chickens with cocci will not want to eat or drink, and fluff up and hunch over as if cold; also that not all strains of cocci cause bloody poop. The treatment in chickens is usually Corid. I don't see cocci as an indication for using fenbendazole, only certain worms.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Safeguard does not treat coccidia. It is a wormer. I was saying if she wanted to use it as a wormer, if she felt it nessasary , it would not hurt them. Sometimes a weakened state from parasites can lead to other problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by