Sour Crop Cured but still no eggs!!!!

MyHappyGirls

Songster
7 Years
Sep 11, 2016
Soquel, Ca
Our hen "Blue" had a bad case of sour crop, her 2nd case but this one was worse. We cured the last case with just helping her vomit, yogurt and BioK(probiotic drink from health food store). But this time we had to use the miconazole just as described in the big thread all about sour crop & stuff. She was so weakened that it took her about a week before she started acting normal and happy again. She is able to roost, eat and drink and digest and poop, BUT she has not layed any eggs, I feel one in there (from
the outside) two days ago she got very grouchy she started a fight with our chihuahua which she has NEVER done. Luckily I was right there to stop it before anyone got hurt. That day I noticed that her oviduct looked very large and swollen so I gave her a warm bath and sprayed olive oil on her little swollen bum, where the eggs & poop come out. I had to go to back to school night right after that an hour and half later I came back and she wasn't swollen anymore but was bending over and plucking herself where she was still abit wet from the bath & oil. I looked everywhere and could not find any of her eggs. It has now been ten days since she last layed an egg. She acted like she might moult the day she was really grouchy but that stopped she is acting completely normal except she hasn't layed any eggs that I know of.... & I have looked EVERYWHERE for eggs. Is this cause for me to worry ? I really hope not we love our little Blue bird!!!

Welcome to BYC.

Can you post some photos of her?

If she was very weak and sick from having sour crop, she may be taking a break. You mention should could be going into molt as well, if that's the case, then a hen will stop laying eggs until she stops molting.

Last edited:
Hi Thanks for your reply!!! I thought I posted a reply yesterday but my internet has been going out a lot... Blue is still totally acting normal except for the not laying thing & the sometimes runny dark green poops. I am trying to post some pictures, I hope it works:) yay it worked!!! This is her just doing what she does, eating food, scratching around the coop, cleaning herself(plucking her feathers out) and her backside side view. It looks like she has all new feathers back there although I never saw it bald...
Her poops are about 50% normal and 50% normal with some green goey loose stuff in them(almost like yolk or white yolk in consistency). I think you are right about the break. She was so very sick with that sour crop she couldn't even pluck lettuce like she usually does from my hand. I have been trying to limit what she eats to her food and some kale or corn since her sour crop about two weeks ago now. Thank you so much for your input! i really appreciate it:)

Hi Thanks for your reply!!! I thought I posted a reply yesterday but my internet has been going out a lot... Blue is still totally acting normal except for the not laying thing & the sometimes runny dark green poops. I am trying to post some pictures, I hope it works:) yay it worked!!! This is her just doing what she does, eating food, scratching around the coop, cleaning herself(plucking her feathers out) and her backside side view. It looks like she has all new feathers back there although I never saw it bald...
Her poops are about 50% normal and 50% normal with some green goey loose stuff in them(almost like yolk or white yolk in consistency). I think you are right about the break. She was so very sick with that sour crop she couldn't even pluck lettuce like she usually does from my hand. I have been trying to limit what she eats to her food and some kale or corn since her sour crop about two weeks ago now. Thank you so much for your input! i really appreciate it:)

She's a pretty hen
smile.png

If she is molting she may benefit from some extra protein and vitamins as well. For protein you can give her scrambled/hard boiled egg for vitamins - Poultry Nutri-Drench or Rooster Booster Poultry Cell.

Can you post some photos of the poop?
Chickens have a cecal poop (loose/gooey) about 1 out of every 8-10 normal poops. The green can be from her diet (kale).

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

Last edited:
Thank you!!! I think she is so pretty too!!! I do love my two hens soooo much!!! I have been trying to post the pictures of Blue's poops for a couple days now but my internet is not working very well..... however, my little Blue girl is thriving more and more each day and she is pooping bigger and more normal poops each day. Wow she must have been on her death bed when I saved her from that sour crop!!! I am gong to check her every morning when I let her out and if there is ever another sign of a sour crop I will take care of it right away!!! I think that her illness plus the shorter days probably made her molt because she has plucked herself almost bald under her crop, wings and under her bum. So aside from that and the not laying eggs she is acting normal:) I am going to try posting photos in a new reply because every time I tried to add a photo, I would lose my whole reply!!! Thanks for everything!!! I love this website I have been using it for two years but never posted anything until now so THANK YOU BACKYARD CHICKENS!!!!!

Thank you!!! I think she is so pretty too!!! I do love my two hens soooo much!!! I have been trying to post the pictures of Blue's poops for a couple days now but my internet is not working very well..... however, my little Blue girl is thriving more and more each day and she is pooping bigger and more normal poops each day. Wow she must have been on her death bed when I saved her from that sour crop!!! I am gong to check her every morning when I let her out and if there is ever another sign of a sour crop I will take care of it right away!!! I think that her illness plus the shorter days probably made her molt because she has plucked herself almost bald under her crop, wings and under her bum. So aside from that and the not laying eggs she is acting normal:) I am going to try posting photos in a new reply because every time I tried to add a photo, I would lose my whole reply!!! Thanks for everything!!! I love this website I have been using it for two years but never posted anything until now so THANK YOU BACKYARD CHICKENS!!!!!

Quote:
The poo looks like normal cecal poo to me.

Keep an eye on her, if she is molting she may be preening more than you would normally see, but your mention of her plucking her feathers out at her breast, wings and rear could also be an indication of lice/mites. So check her over well in those areas. If you see any critters give her a dusting with Poultry Dust.

I'm glad to hear she is improving.
smile.png

Thank you so much!!! Your advice has really helped put me at ease:) I checked her over closer yesterday and she is actually plucking the feathers off her underside, I didn't see any signs of mites or fleas or lice but I am going to get some wood ash to have on hand and poultry dust too. Our house is due to be tented as soon as I find a place for my hens to stay for a few days because their coop is less than 10 ft from the house. The chemical they are going to use is Sulfuryl Flouride- Vikane. I hope it kills any fleas or mites or lice that might be around. Blue finally layed an egg yesterday afternoon!!!!:):)

Thank you so much!!! Your advice has really helped put me at ease:) I checked her over closer yesterday and she is actually plucking the feathers off her underside, I didn't see any signs of mites or fleas or lice but I am going to get some wood ash to have on hand and poultry dust too. Our house is due to be tented as soon as I find a place for my hens to stay for a few days because their coop is less than 10 ft from the house. The chemical they are going to use is Sulfuryl Flouride- Vikane. I hope it kills any fleas or mites or lice that might be around. Blue finally layed an egg yesterday afternoon!!!!:):)

Glad to hear she has finally laid her egg!

Talk to the people tenting your house, you may want to ask what residues may be left behind on grass, plants, bushes if you let your girls out of their run to do a little free range time.

If she is plucking at her own feathers, you may want to treat her with the poultry dust. I put ash in the run in areas that my girls frequently dust bath in, so that's a good idea.

Keep us posted on her progress.

She is still doing great! She has layed another egg and I dusted both hens and the coop and yard with poultry dust, it seemed to help with the plucking her feathers so much. I think she was being bit by fleas because one of our dogs gets them and I was getting bit too. So the poultry dust took care of that, no more fleas!! I do think my girls are moulting because Happy Feet hasn't layed an egg for five days and I am seeing a few of her feathers around so I added apple cider vinegar to their water and some sunflower seeds to their diet. They love the seeds, I have even seen them crack them and eat just the seed and I am finding little piles of the shells around their areas!! These girls are so happy and healthy I am one proud Mama!!
1f497.png
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom