LittleBird123

Songster
Nov 12, 2016
USA, Michigan
Yesterday morning when I went out to my chicken's coop I found one of them laying on the floor. I picked her up and she was breathing with her mouth slightly open and her crop was very large and squishy, it felt like it was filled with fluid or gas. I thought she might have sour crop and I had read before that you need to get them to vomit to clear their crop so I tried to get her to vomit by holding her upside down and massaging her crop. She vomited some grass and clear fluid that had the consistency of saliva. Her crop was still pretty full after that. she was puffed up and still was breathing with her mouth slightly open. After about ten minutes she got worse and would no longer stand. Then five minutes later she started shaking her head, then her body went rigid, she started flapping her wings and appeared to have a seizure and died. Clear fluid came out of her mouth after she died. She was completely fine the day before running around with the other chickens, and she seemed fine sitting on the roost that night when I put them to bed. She was six years old and has had very runny poop that would get stuck to the feathers beneath her vent for a long time, but other than that she has not had many health issues. I do not know what happened and I am very worried that whatever happened to her could spread to my other chickens. They all seem to be acting normal now but I am worried because of how quickly this happened to her. If anyone knows what happened to her and if it could spread to my other chickens please respond, any information would be helpful.

To me it sounds like your hen had something going on that was limited to her. She probably had a blockage. Chickens CNN eat lots of stuff they shouldn't. You do have to be careful trying to get any crop contents out of a bird as they can aspirate easily and they die pretty quickly from it.

To me it sounds like your hen had something going on that was limited to her. She probably had a blockage. Chickens CNN eat lots of stuff they shouldn't. You do have to be careful trying to get any crop contents out of a bird as they can aspirate easily and they die pretty quickly from it.

Yes, I am beginning to regret making her vomit after reading more about it. I did not know what else to do, she was already in bad condition when I found her, and her crop was very swollen. Also, after I found her in the coop I put her outside the coop to see if she would walk and she started doing this strange wobbly limp with her wing down. I don't know why she was doing this. I have a feeling that she would have died even if I did not make her vomit.

Back
Top Bottom