Sour crop - have I treated it correctly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by etaktradots, Oct 20, 2011.

1. etaktradots

etaktradots New Egg

Oct 20, 2011
    Hi Thanks to a lead from this forum, I found my chook had the disgusting sour crop.
    I have emptied her crop as much as I can, isolated her with water (and to be added when I get to the shops) some apple cider vinegar - how much? Given her some yoghurt and I will keep her from food for 12-24 hours? Is this right??? Anything else???
    Thanks for the advice.
    etaktradots

2. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Sounds like you are doing well and glad that you found what you needed. I would wait until at least tomorrow afternoon to give any feed. And when you do, feed only soft foods. I have used scrambled eggs, which she loved and I would mix it with a little wetted down chicken feed to make a mash. Massaging the crop seemed to help mine as well. Make a note of how her crop feels right before she goes to sleep. If it has anything in it, check it the next morning to see if it's empty. They should always be empty first thing in the morning if they are Processing their food correctly. If it's not empty, don't give any additional food until she processes what's already in there. Good luck and I hope you'll keep us posted [​IMG]

Edited to add: I did not use yogurt or ACV on my hen

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. etaktradots

etaktradots New Egg

Oct 20, 2011
    Hi Remuda1
    Thanks for the support and further advice - very much appreciated and nice to know that I'm on the right track.
    Cheers
    etaktradots

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by