Sour Crop, Heat Stress, or Something Else???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WingsOnTheBus, Jun 9, 2016.

1. WingsOnTheBus

WingsOnTheBus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    NW IA
    Hello,

Some things I have to clear up:

1. I am only with my chickens for 1/2 the week, and was not been around the one who is now sick a few hours ago (before 6:00).
    2. I will be leaving for vacation first thing tomorrow morning (someone will check on them every 2 days) so I need to know everything that I can do to protect her while I'm gone if she makes it through.
    3. I am not allowed to bring her inside under any circumstances.

One of my 4 hens, a 1-year-old Rhode Island Red, was hit the hardest by what appears to be heat stress this afternoon (it was then about 93 degrees and humid; now it is about 85 degrees, still humid). When I got home around 4 hours ago, she followed me around like normal, and even took a drink, but now she will not drink, or even eat watermelon, like the others (who are behaving normally) is unresponsive even to vigorous prodding--she stands, but crouches low (in a "bowed" stance) and refuses to move. The others are panting furiously. Her beak is open, but she seems a bit more...resigned.

She was too weak to fly up to her roost tonight. She is resting on the floor of the coop.

I felt her crop and it is much softer than the others'. I tipped her upside down (the fact that she did not object was extremely worrying) and tried to massage it, but nothing came out.

I put an oscillating fan in the coop, and it is running now. She turned toward it, which is encouraging. I also put an ice pack under her.

What could be wrong with her? What are here chances of survival? Most importantly, what can I do to help?

I will let you know if she makes it till the morning.

2. WingsOnTheBus

Jun 7, 2015
    NW IA
    Update (with pictures)

I went out to the coop and Star (the hen) appeared to have fallen asleep with her wattles in the small dish of water I had put out for her. She woke up, but still didn't return to her normal stance:

[​IMG]

Then I noticed something behind her: two eggs, one soft-shelled, that weren't there before. I would assert this as the cause of the problem but her behavior has not improved...

[​IMG]

3. WingsOnTheBus

Jun 7, 2015
    NW IA
    Update: She is back to normal! The problem must just have been those eggs...

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It could be a combination of heat stress and possibly a nutritional/vitamin deficiency.
    The fan was a good idea. Also provide cool water when possible and shade.
    She may also benefit from some extra vitamins to see if that will help. Something like Nutri-Drench can help heat stressed chickens.
    Also if you haven't done so, provide oyster shell free choice for add calcium.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by