Sour crop help

Mel W

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2021
Hi guys,
I am new to the site and hope you can help. I have a light Sussex chicken, only had her a few weeks and she has developed sour crop. I am emptying her crop once a day in the morning by tilting her downwards and squeezing her crop - only for around 10 seconds at a time, then letting her recover and breath. I am trying to feed her live yoghurt with a few layers pellets mixed in and water with cider vinegar but she'll only eat a very small amount. She seems to start the day OK, eating dandelion leaves and scratching around the garden, but then becomes more lethargic and seems a little confused as the day goes on. I am worries that she's getting no nutrition if the little food she eats is just stuck in her crop and will just fade away. The vet says there's nothing licensed to give her. Can anyone help?

Hi guys,
I am new to the site and hope you can help. I have a light Sussex chicken, only had her a few weeks and she has developed sour crop. I am emptying her crop once a day in the morning by tilting her downwards and squeezing her crop - only for around 10 seconds at a time, then letting her recover and breath. I am trying to feed her live yoghurt with a few layers pellets mixed in and water with cider vinegar but she'll only eat a very small amount. She seems to start the day OK, eating dandelion leaves and scratching around the garden, but then becomes more lethargic and seems a little confused as the day goes on. I am worries that she's getting no nutrition if the little food she eats is just stuck in her crop and will just fade away. The vet says there's nothing licensed to give her. Can anyone help?
Please stop forcing her to vomit. You can easily aspirate her.
Give this article a read. If it sour crop, ask your vet if she will prescribe nystatin. Otherwise, look for the miconazole. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom