Sour crop help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hens rule, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Hi, I went out to my chickens and I noticed one just standing in the corner. I took her out of the corner and put her in front of my chickens water bowl and I took my hand off of her. After I did so so fell over frontwards onto her face. I helped her up. I also noticed she does not have good balance she kind of is like dizzyish. I picked her up and when I pick up chickens I put a little pressure on there crop and hold around them for support but when I picked her up she threw up clear liquid. She also did this when I was about to pick her up and put little pressure on her crop. Her crop is like a almost full water ballon and the liquids she threw up had a sort of fowl smell to it. Also her stumic area is sort of hard but I felt like 5 of my other chickens bellyareas and they where almost as hard like usual since I give them free acses to food 24/7. Im wondering if this could be sour crop or impacted gizzard but I think it's sour crop. What do you think it is that she has? And any recremendations or helping supjestions? Help would definitely be apresiatied a lot!!!! Thanks for reading!
    Also: how can I treat her for what ever she has?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Thank you! :)

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    You're welcome, hope it helps and that your girl will be ok.

5. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Oh, I have an update... THANKYOU a lot!!!! :)
    My chicken seems ALOT better!!!! I felt her crop it's less full and is harder I'm massaging her crop to help get the stuff out. She also pooped today which probely meens she's getting some food and water through her! Would you happen to know if this is a normal poop...
    [​IMG]
    Here's a picture of her today. She seems so much better!
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about all the pictures in posting. :D
    Do you know if green poop is normal I didn't see something on it on the crop page. Here's a picture...
    [​IMG]
    Thanks again! :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Glad to hear your girl is feeling better!

Not sure about the poop but if she had a bunch of bad stuff going on inside, then that is probably why her poop came out like it did. See if she doesn't have more "normal" poops soon.

I liked your photos, you didn't post too many. Pretty hen you have there!

7. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Thanks! :)  Her names frenchy shes a white sussex.:)

Update: I gave frenchy a Epsom salt bath yesterday and fed her some yogurt and olive oil. She seems better. I think she is constipated which can cause sour or impacted crop. I'm going to give her some yogurt and olive oil and Epsom salt water. Thanks! :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by