Sour crop......I think?

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
My silkie hen has a massive crop that feels like an inflated balloon. How do I know if this is sour crop or an impaction?
She will stretch out her neck and gasp for air, and if I massage her crop I hear gurgling.
I’ve tried to give her Apple cider vinegar water but she won’t drink it. She’s is on her own in a crate, and I’ve taken her off her feed completely. Today she ate one whole egg scrambled with a bunch of olive oil mixed in...she ate the whole thing.
What can I do for her?

Hi. One of my hens had impacted crop (she’s still alive now) I think if it’s sour crop you would be able to smell it (it’s really disgusting) what you can do is pick her up and lean her forward, start massaging the crop gently. This should make some of the stuff in her crop come out of her mouth (be sick basically) only do little bits at a time as it can cause a blockage. There’s plenty of videos on YouTube so make sure you watch some tutorials on how to empty sour crop. Can you show us a picture please? Also don’t give her any food for the next day but make sure she has plenty of clean water

I’m just at work but will send a pic tomorrow morning. Her crop is absolutely massive and feels filled with air. My daughter has seen her drop her head down and seen stuff come out of her mouth and she has crusty feathers all down her front which tells me there’s stuff coming out at times, but not that I’ve seen. I am very leery to try to vomit her, even slightly, as I fear she will aspirate.
Hi. One of my hens had impacted crop (she’s still alive now) I think if it’s sour crop you would be able to smell it (it’s really disgusting) what you can do is pick her up and lean her forward, start massaging the crop gently. This should make some of the stuff in her crop come out of her mouth (be sick basically) only do little bits at a time as it can cause a blockage. There’s plenty of videos on YouTube so make sure you watch some tutorials on how to empty sour crop. Can you show us a picture please? Also don’t give her any food for the next day but make sure she has plenty of clean water

I’m just at work but will send a pic tomorrow morning. Her crop is absolutely massive and feels filled with air. My daughter has seen her drop her head down and seen stuff come out of her mouth and she has crusty feathers all down her front which tells me there’s stuff coming out at times, but not that I’ve seen. I am very leery to try to vomit her, even slightly, as I fear she will aspirate.
You could try to feed her some coconut oil. Don't massage her crop if it is sour crop because then she could aspirate and die. ;)

Back
Top Bottom