Sour crop/impacted crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jun 19, 2011.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    My buff orpington got a badly swollen crop about a month ago. I helped her empty the crop and fed her yogurt for a few days. The crop deflated quite a bit but never really went back to normal. She seemed very unhappy isolated so I returned her to the flock. Now her crop seems like it just keeps swelling and deflating on its own. She seems awkward and walks funny, but eats and poops and lays and gets up on the perch at night OK. But, her crop feels like a beanie baby and she smells bad.

What should I do? treat her again? Does this require surgery??

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Have you tried the Apple Cider Vinegar treatment yet. I have a very similar problem as yours, i just started the Apple Cider Vinegar this morning, so can't tell you how it working yet. be sure to use the Apple cider vinegar with mother in it. I had to go to a organic market to find it. using 1 tablespoon per gal of water.
    Also using a little viggie oil to help get things moving in the crop, along with massaging the crop.
    good luck.

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    How are you giving the apple cider vinegar? I put it in their water but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Massage the crop to the point of making her vomit??

4. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I've been putting it in their water (but just started). Massaging crop just for a few minutes every night. It has gone down but not gone. I think mine eats a lot of long grass. I'm going to make sure the grass is cut prior to moving their tractor over a new patch. Don't have a problem with the rest of them. Plus I know she eats a few feathers...I consulted someone about the feather and he said not to worry about them, but to try to limit the long grass to short pieces.
    I tried giving her yogurt, but she won't eat it. Guess I could put it in her mouth, but getting the oil in is enough.
    Oh yea, her crop is not hard, it feels fibrous. This morning about the size of a jack ball. used to be much bigger, size of a blue hand ball.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by