Sour Crop/Impaction?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pookieslw, Mar 21, 2011.

1. pookieslw

pookieslw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Help!

My Top roo is no longer Top Roo and recently really slowed down (so whatever happened, seems gradual) In retrospect, I think he's been moving his head around kind of funny lately (like something's stuck. I am not the chicken keeper, my daughter is, so I don't have more observations than that for the onset.

Yesterday, he didn't want to leave the coop, so I picked him up and he vomited yellowish liquid. His crop was big and mushy and when I touched it he spewed, so I did the upside down thing and he got alot up, some gurgling too.

Brought him inside to crate and left him alone to recuperate. I didn't give him any water as I didn't want him to just fill up his crop again.

I'm assuming he's blocked up somewhere - I don't feel anything in his crop.

He pooped just yellowish/whitish liquid overnight. This morning gave him olive oil (which he sucked right down - because he's thirsty). At noon, gave him molasses flush (which he sucked down).

Checking on him now, 5ish, he had lots fluid in his box (alot clear?), some small block poop mixed in. Tried to interest him in some bread - no go. Just tried pellets - he bent down to try them and more fluid came out of his mouth.

Questions:

How much water does he need to stay hydrated? (He's a Buff Orpington big guy)

How long do you think it could take to clear? How often olive oil? Should I just stick with the oil for 24 hours and then try the flush again? How often give him the oil?

Any other comments/help?

It's so sad - he had two hens who wanted to stay with him yesterday, but new top roo, after trying to lure them away with much wing dropping, decided to show them how much better he was and went after sick roo. This sick rooster really is a good hen watcher-overer....hate to lose him.

Thank you for any advice!

2. pookieslw

pookieslw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    bump - please!

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Let me search and see what I can find.

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Is he young or growing or pullet or mature?

Its sour or impacted crop....I thought they were different problems but the book I have said they are the same thing. Not sure I believe it though.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by