1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sour crop in 4 week old chick, possibly getting better on her own???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickieKat, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ChickieKat

ChickieKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    We just got 2 four week old silkies last Sunday and by Monday afternoon, one was starting to act sluggish. She was just slowly walking around, not really eating or drinking and I didn't realize it until Tuesday morning. I bought some Corrid on Tuesday after work and added it to their water, thinking that was the issue. Tuesday evening I picked her up and looked her over very carefully when I realized her crop was hugely swollen and very squishy like it was full of water. The other chick's crop feels nothing like that. They were outside on Monday for a couple of hours in a pen in the grass pecking at bugs and grass blades. I am worried that her crop is impacted with grass or something and now she has sour crop.

Last night I tried to put a catheter down into her crop to suction out some of the fluid, but I was only able to get a few drops of slimy clear goo. She seemed exhausted, so I put her back into the pen, took her food away to see what would happen overnight and went to bed.

This morning, she was still very swollen, so I assumed the worst would happen today. Tonight after work, I came home to find her somewhat less swollen (although her crop is still HUGE), and a bit more active. She is eating a bunch and when I tried to suction out more goo, I got what looked like watery chick food rather than slimy clear liquid. She even ate a small bit of plain greek yogurt off a spoon.

My question now is what do I do from here? She had pretty much stopped eating and drinking and now is eating and walking around a bit more. Do chicks recover from sour crop? I had read that it is nearly 100% fatal unless you intervene. I was actually planning to try to make her vomit if I couldn't get anything out of her. I know there is a chance of aspiration, but I am desperate.

I have also been massaging her crop as often as I can. I still have the Corrid in her water too. They have been on that for 24 hours now. I know now that it wasn't likely the issue, but I don't know if I should stop the meds.

Help!

2. ChickieKat

ChickieKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    She died. My son is devastated and I want to cry too. I was doing more reading about sour crop and found that if her crop is full and she is eating like mad, she was most likely starving. I tried to make her vomit and she choked. I feel like the worst chicken keeper ever. It was horrifying to hold her as she died in my hands. I am terrified that something will happen to our other silkie, and I also know she shouldn't be alone. We have meat birds that are doing great, but I feel like they would trample the poor little one left.

Why is this so hard???

3. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel so bad for you....It hurts and it it so hard when we love these little feathered friends. I wish I could take your pain away...
    God Bless you and the little chick.
    Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by