Sour crop in silkie chick ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kateyberberian, Feb 2, 2017.

1. kateyberberian

kateyberberian New Egg

Jan 24, 2017
    Tiverton Rhode Island
    Currently being a worry wort because one of my silkie chicks (5 weeks old) I think has sour crop. Originally we bought them this chick dust which they loved and ate right up. When I went to restock I got pullet feed which has bigger pieces, we just started feeding them this a couple days ago. I noticed one of the chicks seemed less hyper than usually so I picked it up and snuggled with it a little. The chick kept opening its mouth like it was trying to breath or swallow. I went to show the chick to the water bowl in case it was thirsty and this brown liquid came out when I tilted her towards the water. Immediately i freaked out and googled the symptoms on here and looked up what it might be. It was between impacted crop and sour crop. I felt the chicks crop and it was not "hard" per say but seemed a bit full. I massaged her crop and she began to burp up more brown fluids. During this time she became more vocal and began to peep, which I took as a good sign because she clearly wanted me to leave her alone. I'm not sure what to do, she still seems lethargic and not feeling her best but better than before. What are some treatments for sour crop and how can I nurse this sweet baby back to health?!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC

How is your chick?

What is the "pullet feed"? (Brand?)

Since you mention that it is bigger pieces, your chick may be having trouble consuming it. You can try wetting the feed to make it into a wet mash to see if she can eat this better.

Chicks can have what seems to be large crops. Check to see if it reduces in size over a period of time and that she is pooping. If you give anything else besides poultry feed, offer chick grit (crushed granite) free choice - this helps with digestion. Sometimes when handling a chick after it has been eating/drinking they could possibly expel liquid if the crop has been manipulated.

Would love to see photos and/or video of her.

Keep us posted.

3. kateyberberian

kateyberberian New Egg

Jan 24, 2017
    Tiverton Rhode Island
    Not doing so well, she is currently in her own box with a heating pad and water container inside. I added some ACV to her water but she has been sluggish and lethargic. She has no interest in eating or drinking so I'm going to let her rest for a while. Every once and a while she peeps a little. I vomited her a couple times last night and twice today, but it doesn't seem to help. She has white watery runs which I know can't be good. I will try to give her some plain yogurt later on and give her some water. I'm pretty worried about her. And what I meant by pullet feed was it looks very much like the pellets I give my older hens but just broken in half, so I'm thinking the food is much too big for them to eat. I have been crushing the food up even more so then feeding it to them and the rest haven't had a problem. @Wyorp Rock

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Are you feeding layer feed or is this a chick starter, grower, all flock/flock raiser feed?

Has her crop gone down?
    What does her poop look like?

5. kateyberberian

kateyberberian New Egg

Jan 24, 2017
    Tiverton Rhode Island
    @Wyorp Rock no its chick starter, but the pieces are larger than the chick starter we had before. And yes her crop has gone down but she also hasn't been eating or drinking. She's been resting in the corner with the heat pad. Her poop is watery and cream/milk colored. She had a normal poop last night

6. kateyberberian

kateyberberian New Egg

Jan 24, 2017
    Tiverton Rhode Island
    [​IMG] here is a picture of her @Wyorp Rock

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you feel that it is a crop issue or maybe something like Cocci.

Some symptoms of Cocci are weakness (lethargy), not eating, diarrhea with mucus or blood, loss of balance, and puffing up. Treatment is with Corid for 5-7days.

8. kateyberberian

kateyberberian New Egg

Jan 24, 2017
    Tiverton Rhode Island
    @Wyorp Rock I don't believe so, she passed last night in my arms. She was having trouble breathing and just let go around 10pm.

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm so sorry[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by