Sour Crop Killing Chicken… any advice?

ALRwild

Songster
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Idaho
My Blue Copper Maran, Paula, has a really horrible case of sour crop and I don't think she is going to make it. I have been giving her nystatin (anti fungal), amoxicillian (antibacterial), and metoclopramide (stimulates muscles, trying to get crop to work). I also have her on a liquidy diet and have been putting vinegar in her water. However, she isn't gaining weight (weighs like 3 lbs) and her crop continues to expand so I think she is going to die. Does anyone have any advice for treating a chicken who is facing death? What should I do to comfort her? I'm worried that putting her with the other chicken will only cause her to get picked on. Should I let her free range and stop it with the silly diet and medicine? I know there isn't a "right" answer to this, but second opinions would be great!

She has very runny watery poops and I haven't seen her eat anything yet today. I took her to the "chicken vet" (forgot to mention that) and he said it was sour crop so her drained her, but it just filled right back up. I think we might have just waited too long. I was gone for 2 weeks before I could take her to the vet.

He said she had a yeast infection, so I guess it's fungal, but after he drained her there was still a lump in her crop, so that could be something. Her crop is so expanded it is practically dragging on the floor now.

Back
Top Bottom