Sour Crop not improving

Pics

Ganesh-Saahd

Chirping
May 18, 2020
Hi !

I'm having some troubles with my 17~ weeks Marans.

2 weeks ago, I perched her in the coop and her head dropped below her, and she vomited some yellowish mucus. I checked her immediately and her crop was and squishy and full of liquid.

I thought right away that it was a sour crop.
I took her, isolated he in a big cage and I've been trying to heal her ever seen.

First day I removed water and food and the crop drained a lot. I started her on Monistat, 2 times a day. Long story short, my vet didn't want to prescribe her anti-fungal because it was like 150$ and he didn't think it was worth the price, mostly because there's an underlying problem usually and the sour crop is a secondary disease to that health problem. Anyway, Monistat is 20$ for 7 days, I wanted to try it.

On the second day her crop was almost flat. I fed her, in small portions.
The 3rd morning, no liquid in her crop. I gave her a bit of food and her medication, thinking we were on the right track.

That evening I noticed a bit of liquid again. The next morning, we were back with a big squishy crop.

I finished the Monistat and I'm trying Canesten now, because its a different molecule, it's a cream and it's easier to administer. I saw a couple of posts where people were having a better success with Canesten.

There's absolutely no improvement.
I need to make her vomit every morning. She's not even fighting me. I noticed a very thick liquid, yellow-orange. There was streaks of white, feed not fully digested, also very small greyish lumps (almost thought it was bugs). A bit of smell, but my nose is stuffed, hard to say if it was sour or you know? Vomit smell.

I tried some emollient this morning (not laxative). Maybe there's an impaction somewhere, in the gizzard, and it could help, but I didn't see any improvements. I don't know what happened to the crop to drain and get full again last week.

She's still very alert, very engaging, wants to fly on my shoulder, wants to eat and drink. She's just not comfortable, she's trying to move her crop. She perches at night in her cage.

I just don't know what to do with her, how to make her better, to drain that crop so it stays drained. It's been 10 days...

Any ideas?

Attachments

• received_823110975554115.jpeg
    received_823110975554115.jpeg
    857 KB · Views: 156
mostly because there's an underlying problem usually and the sour crop is a secondary disease to that health problem.
Did your vet run a fecal float to see if worms are a problem?

I'd treat as Pendulous and Sour.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your flock?
What do you normally feed?
Photos of poop?

Did your vet run a fecal float to see if worms are a problem?

I'd treat as Pendulous and Sour.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your flock?
What do you normally feed?
Photos of poop?
Nop, the vet didn't see her. I have a nice relation with the clinic. I can text him my problem, we'll chat a bit about the best course of actions.

I actually have ivermectin at home, I could treat her.

They do have grit and they also free range. There's a big patch of small rock that they need to cross to go run in the grass.

I feed Layer feed for my older and a Grower feed for my youngest (which she is) until they start laying (slowly transitioning). Right now she's on the Starter feed to have more protein.

I'll provide photo of poop tomorrow but it switches between really runny (saw it in the day) and normal apparence (at night, while perched)

Emptied her crop this morning, wash it twice, gave her a good dose of canesten and put a crop bra on her.
I also gave her piperazine in her water for the day and fed her, because she's famished. I mixed some grit in it.

So far so good.

There was weird stuff in the content of the crop. Red stuff. Doesn't look like blood, nor lining. I didn't give her anything that colour in the past week either. Picture attached. Sorry about the graphic pictures, a bit nasty.

No picture of dropping yet. I cleaned her cage this morning. Everything looks normal. She did one poop after, and there was a bit of paper in it. She's been on paper litter this week. I kind of hope that this was the problem, that she ate some, got impacted crop after the first draining and the sour crop came back. Fingers crossed it was the problem and it passed. She's popping so I'm hoping the impaction is resolved. I'm freezing some coconut oil to give her later.

She's on peepad now.

Also, no smell while emptying the crop.

Attachments

• PXL_20221105_163009840.jpg
    PXL_20221105_163009840.jpg
    875.8 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20221105_163012985.jpg
    PXL_20221105_163012985.jpg
    846.2 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20221105_163022471.jpg
    PXL_20221105_163022471.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20221105_163035528.jpg
    PXL_20221105_163035528.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 30
There was weird stuff in the content of the crop. Red stuff. Doesn't look like blood.
So you vomited her?

I'd be careful doing that so she doesn't aspirate. Many a person has had a bird die by doing that.

She's mighty young at 17 weeks to have a pendulous crop, but hopefully this will resolve soon.

Not sure what the red is either. Looks like fruit or watermelon or something like that.

Do you provide Grit (Crushed Granite) for your birds? If you don't, then I recommend that you do.

I'd finish treat the sour crop. See that she's eating a commercial chick crumble or starter very well.
Hopefully she's on her way to a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom