1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sour crop or pendulim crop???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maidenwolfx80, Sep 11, 2012.

1. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Not sure what I am dealing with here.. It was been this way for over a month. His crop is huge size of a baseball. It sometimes feels hard and sometimes soft, when I massage it it will go from soft to hard and he will move his head back and forth trying to dislodge it when it gets hard like that. If the crop is hard and I massage it will make a gurgling noise and get softer.He eats and drinks normally. Poo is not as often as the others but when I give the molasses water to him it helps. I have tried ACV in his water, antibiotics, he has been wormed, I have tried no food other than very soft foods, probiotics, oil iin his crop and massage.. When I started the antibiotic I also did molasses. I mixed it up together and moistened his food with it. the next morning it seemed alittle smaller, but it hasnt gone anywhere since then. What else can I do? Am I doing the meds wrong?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Have you tried a yeast infection medication? What about yoghurt?

Yoghurt is what cured my RIR from sour crop. Only took a week. Use unflavoured plain with probiotics.

3. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I did give him yogurt and now that I think of it when I did the molasses I did yogurt with active culture,, thanks I will get that going again. I am worried about him and I have tried so hard and am just out of tries. Maybe I skipped and jumped around on treatment too much???

4. aoxa

Skip the mollases. I can't imagine that being of any help at all.

Yoghurt only with some crumbles. That is what fixed my girl. She took a few days, but is good as new!

5. aoxa

Also offer some grit :)

6. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I did the molasses cause I read it would help flush out toxins. If it is not a good thing I will stop it for sure.. So yogurt it is. I will go get a large tub of it for him. and they always have grit andoyster shell available free choice and when I give scratch I mix in grit, but havent given much scratch since he was sick.

7. aoxa

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630307/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat
    This thread may be helpful :)

1 person likes this.
  8. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    thank you [​IMG]

9. Chickinlittle1

Chickinlittle1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Just some suggestions for Crop problems. I have a "10YO" Barred Rock who at 5YO had her 1st. Crop infection. I'm a Medical asst. & I didn't know much at the time about it but I noticed that her head seemed to sit back more & was positioned off to the side. I also noticed that she "looked" like she had a 1/2 full crop but upon exam it was as if there was tissue inside(no solids & the only way I can describe it is like fibrous tissue/scar tissue). I noticed she would only eat seed,whole dry corn or soft but stayed away from pellet/layer crumble).
    I tried tetracycline & that didn't work FOR ME so I started thinking out of the box. At that time I had no access to Baytril & since then have gained access & FOR ME IT DOESN'T Work (as the Vet stated it should). I started thinking of Mold or Fungal & Anti-Fungals are expensive(at least through the Avian Vet I acquired recently).
    What I tried back then & have used 3xs since has worked. Since she wouldn't drink it I used a Fleet Enema Bottle(IF YOU Have a Feeding tube you can try it but if its a crop/throat infection the tube will stop about 1/2 way down). I Only Recently acquired a feeding tube which gave me confirmation it was AGAIN a Crop based infection. You STILL NEED TO DEPRESS SLOWLY & MAY HAVE TO Place it Down in 2-3 Intervals depending on how bad the infection is blocking the throat.
    IF YOU USE an Enema Bottle you need to locate -know where their breathing hole is located at the back of the Tongue to be sure to clear it. I try to tip the chickens neck back some so the liquid goes down & NOT to depress to much at once. It will take a few squirts to get down what kind of flow she has(how swollen the throat is).
    I try to actually fill the Crop AT LEAST 1/2-3/4 Full of a Sulfamethoaxine drench mixed with Mineral oil. I use "At Least" 1Tbl. spoon(maybe a bit more) on the first 2-3 times. I shake the bottle (prepared at Room Temp.) before administering. IF YOUR Hen starts coughing or choking at all lightly patting or giggling the crop & Stroking the throat downward should clear it.
    Give the Hen a 10sec. count & if you hear "Slight" Fluid rattle Do this again. YES I have had this happen to me a few times but on all ocassions the Hen cleared it herself & you just need to go slower.
    I PERSONALLY AFTER Filling the crop use a sm. hand Vibrator my Husband bought at CVS/Longs. In a funny note my Husband bought it for me to use on my Neck & Jaw for TMJ but when I read the Packaging UH it was listed for "You Know". If you Don't have one or can't afford one(it was only $10-15 blue in color & is stamped with Health O Meter & it had an arrow shaped pointed end) you can use the giggling method but I like to use the pointed end of this device because In ALL Cases with this hen I THINK she had Food stuck in her throat along with probably fungas/mucus & when I find the "kink or block) she lets me know & starts to squabble. I DON'T Over Do It but I follow the Throat down to the Crop & then also vibrate the crop. This device is kinda concave & fits over the Crop well. I have even had Hens ACTUALLY LAY ON IT that had Intestional problems while I was treating them with LA200(Shocked the heck out of me).
    In the Crop situation MY FEELING is its getting the medicine/oil in all crevaces & on this particular Hen she had had this 3xs since & She NEVER Fills her Crop anymore. I presume there is some scar tissue that remains. I do this for 5 days at min. You May see eating pick up on the 3rd day & she will start eating the smaller pieces of layer pellet. Do NOT Stop Short & Go the 5 days. You CAN Ease up on the Mineral oil after day 3.
    I WAS INFORMED BY THE AVIAN VET THAT YOU SHOULD NOT GIVE YOGURT TO A CHICKEN. I HAVE SEEN OTHERS STATE THEY USE IT BUT I HAVE SINCE STAYED AWAY FROM IT UNLESS I JUST MIX IN A TBL. SPOON INTO A GROUND UP FOOD MIXTURE(3-4 DAYS WORTH VIA A VITA MIX BLENDER) THAT I'M USING TO TUBE FEED.
    I CAN SAY THAT GARLIC IS A GOOD ADDITION AS AN ANTI BACTERIAL. THEY STATE THE YOGURT IS SUPPOSE TO REPLACE GOOD BACTERIA BUT IF YOU ARE USING MEDS THE MEDS WILL KILL THE YOGURT BACTERIA SO IT DOES NO GOOD & ACCORDING TO THE VET CAUSES STOMACH UPSET. THIS IS YOUR CHOICE THOUGHT. I JUST TRY TO OFFER GOOD ADVICE/HELP. IN CASE YOUR WONDERING SULFA M. IS LISTED FOR BREATHING DISORDERS BUT MOLDS/FUNGUS DON'T LIKE SULFA BASED DRUGS BECAUSE THE SALT ASPECT KILLS THE COLONIES OFF. ITS NOT MY FAVORITE DRUG TO USE DUE TO KIDNEYS BUT ITS THE ONLY THING I HAVE HAD WORK.
    I recently had a situation where I had "4" Hens not eating & all had this puffy looking crop but not as pronounced backward kinks in their necks. I tried Baytril & with no change after 3-4 days i mixed just the sulfamethoaxine (no oil) & treated everyone for 5 days. They are all back to eating! I THINK DUE TO THE AGE & PRIOR CROP INFECTIONS WITH THIS 10YO SHE NEEDS THE EXTRAS. i ALSO KEPT THIS ONE IN MY BATHROOM & ONLY LET HER OUT FOR A FEW HOURS DURING THE FIRST FEW DAYS BECAUSE SHE WAS DEPLETING WHAT LITTLE SHE WAS EATING.
    GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS. Luciana,M.A.

10. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Could I use sulmet? Its just what I have on hand. Thank you chickinlittle that was great info. I worry and I just want him better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by