1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sour crop or something else???-NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlbmomma, Feb 14, 2017.

1. tlbmomma

tlbmomma Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Yesterday we noticed one of our hens had a swollen, large breast area. After a lot of research we determined it was likely sour crop and we are treated it with Monistat cream, ACV and probiotics in her water, dulcolax (actually Miralax),taken her off solid food, and we vomited her which brought up a bunch of brownish, nasty smelling stuff and her crop went down. However, I have attached a picture of what her breast looks like. All the feathers are gone and there seems to be a wound. She was scratching at it yesterday, so I am hoping that is what the wound is from. Is this normal for sour crop or should I be concerned about something more?
    [​IMG]The wound is toward the back where there are feathers. The top stuff is poop.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm thinking you could be dealing with pendulous crop, but it's only a guess because that photo is pretty ambiguous. I can't tell whether I'm looking at the front of your hen or the rear. It would help to have photos of her head in relation to the crop, and a front and side view from head to feet would also be of help for comparison.

In pendulous crop, the crop becomes distended and drops down. This inhibits the crop's ability to empty sufficiently before the contents begin to putrefy and sour. If your hen's crop, when full, hangs down low instead of sitting high on the chest wall, she could benefit from a device called a "crop bra". My Pet Chicken sells them.

Meanwhile, you can help the hen empty the contents of her crop by massaging it in an upward direction. You will feel the contents disappear as you do this. Without a crop bra to support the crop in a more natural position, your hen will continue to suffer from yeast infections.

3. tlbmomma

tlbmomma Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Yes, the picture isn't too good. I was trying to take it from underneath her. In the photo the gloves are over her feet. So the wound is down closer to the bottom of her breast area. We have been massaging her and have vomited her the last two nights. It appears to be going down, but I was a little concerned about the wound. It is dry, and scabbed over. I'm thinking she may have scratched it on something or pecked at it as her crop was hanging pretty low. As I said, her crop is improving and I put some triple antibiotic ointment on the wound tonight

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by