1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Sour crop or something else???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlbmomma, Feb 13, 2017.

1. tlbmomma

tlbmomma Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Yesterday we noticed one of our hens had a swollen, large breast area. After a lot of research we determined it was likely sour crop and we are treated it with Monistat cream, ACV and probiotics in her water, dulcolax (actually Miralax),taken her off solid food, and we vomited her which brought up a bunch of brownish, nasty smelling stuff and her crop went down. However, I have attached a picture of what her breast looks like. All the feathers are gone and there seems to be a wound. She was scratching at it yesterday, so I am hoping that is what the wound is from. Is this normal for sour crop or should I be concerned about something more?[​IMG] The wound is toward the back where there are feathers. The top stuff is poop.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she been pecking at her crop since she is having sour crop? Do you have her separated where you cn observe and encourage her to drink a lot of water with electolytes? Are you massaging the cop several times daily. Can you seek a vet's help? What is she eating?

3. tlbmomma

tlbmomma Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    We have not seen her pecking at it. But did observe her scratching at it. She is separated in a dog crate in the coop. She appears to be drinking a lot. We put ACV and probiotics in the water. We are massaging the crop twice daily. We both work away from home so that is as often as we can do it. We just got her a little over a week ago. Prior to being with us I'm not sure exactly what she was eating but I think it was hen scratch. When she came to us we were finishing up some hen scratch and transitioning them to an all flock. They have access to feed and oyster shells all day with us. Previously, she and the other 9 we took in, were "hand fed" twice a day. They seemed to be pretty hungry when we got them and ate everything in sight, including some stale bread my chickens hadn't touched. They do free range with us during the day and were limited to a coop previously. We do have access to a vet, but would really prefer to treat ourselves or just put her down. It is improving since we noticed it on Sunday. We have vomited her the last two nights, tonight's substance was much less than last night's. She had been off solid food since Monday evening, tonight I gave her some finely cut up strawberries, bell peppers and boiled egg.I put some triple antibiotic ointment on the wound tonight

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You might want to go look at your duplicate thread before I have the mods remove it.

5. tlbmomma

tlbmomma Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    I just saw it. I wasn't sure this one went through so I reposted it.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Please do not post duplicate threads. It wastes everyone's time, including the moderators.

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It can happen sometimes. In future, if you do see that you've inadvertently made a duplicate post, you can simply delete the text and replace with "Duplicate post" so members know not to ignore it. It's beneficial for everyone, including yourself, since you will have all the responses in one thread.

8. tlbmomma

tlbmomma Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Thank you

9. tlbmomma

tlbmomma Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    I wasn't trying to waste anyone's time. I am fairly new to this thread thing so I really wasn't sure it had gone through. Sorry for bothering everyone.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you look at the bottom of the posting window, you will see a tiny red flag. Click on it and a window appears asking you what is wrong with the thread. All you need to do is request that the moderator remove the thread or move it to the proper forum if, for example, someone posted a thread about a sick chicken in the feeding forum instead of emergencies forum, for example. We all try to do our part in protecting the forums and helping to maintain order. That flag will alert the moderators that there is a problem with the thread and they will zap it out of existence or move it as the case requires.

Don't worry, this happens to us all from time to time. It's part of the learning curve when you're new. I messed up myself in the beginning, worse than you did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by