1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sour crop? Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cityfarmer88, Mar 31, 2017.

1. cityfarmer88

cityfarmer88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    I have 2 sizzles and 1 silkie frizzle and they r 5 weeks old I suspected cocciosis I treated everyone on corid for about 2 weeks the lady I bought them from said I gave it to them too long and we think that now one of them has sour crop she keeps having water come up and pooped out a little water he crop is full she's been standing while she sleeps hunched over. She's still drinking water but I can't get her to eat now she was still eating earlier today I stopped the corid yesterday when I noticed something was wrong and I thought maybe I gave it too long and made her sick. I'm a rookie at all this i only have been learning about them recently last May is when I got my first flock so not even a year yet I need some help.

I bought probiotics and electrolytes and put in the water and some yogurt and apple sause. When she threw up I tiped her forward to get some of that water out but not for too long I don't want to kill her that makes me nervous even doing that I don't know what else to do. She already has been drinking some of the water with the probiotics what else do I do?

Please help this is day 2 she's been looking sick

2. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    Can someone please help she's looking worse today I don't know what to do to help her???

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How much Corid were you mixing in the water for the 2 weeks? Sour crop would be very unusual for a 5 week old chick. My guess is that the chick has a slow to empty crop. I would not try to empty her crop any more, because she may have already aspirated (choked) on her crop contests. Do you have any vitamins and electrolytes to put in their water? I would massage her crop several times a day to help her pass the liquid down, and make sure that she is drinking well. Is she eating only chick feed? I would give any treats other than a bit of chopped egg. Chickens who have had cocci can have slow crops for a bit, and since they eat all the time, they may look puffy.

4. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016

I was giving two teaspoons to 1 gallon of water for 15 days

5. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    And yes I put electrolytes in the water and probiotic last night and I stopped Corid two days ago

6. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    She's not eating much I did see her ratting some of the food of the floor of her cage and I seen her eat some chick grit too she's been sitting all hunched and staying close to the water she doesn't look like she feels good at all and also I bought them 3 weeks ago for my silkie who went broody so she is also in there with them every thing was fine with her. 3 days ago is when this started and she is now 5 weeks old.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you put her back with the other chicks to see if she will perk up? Try tempting her with some chopped egg or some feed with a lot of water in it? I hope she perks up.

8. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    I think she has pneumonia or something she can hardly breath
    And everytime u pick her up the water starts coming up and when I message it water comes up I don't know what to do I think she's gonna die

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Then I would try to get her to a vet. Massagaing the crop is all I would know to do for a young chick. Two Crows has a good thread on " Impacted, slow, and sour crop preventions and treatments."

10. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    I'm not sure what was wrong she just died she started drowning she was too weak I tried to help there was nothing I could do poor thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by