Sour Crop please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarahkessler, May 16, 2010.

1. sarahkessler

sarahkessler New Egg

May 16, 2010
    Hello, our little 7 week old Speckled Sussex has sour crop. So here is what we have tried, we got her to throw up yesterday morning and a lot of smelly goo came out of her crop, and some long grass. She seemed so much better. Today, this am, she is still all full up in her crop, like a tennis ball sized sloshy crop. We are hesitant to vomit her again since we have read it is so dangerous. She has been eating yogurt and rice and drinking water with a little ACV in it. We think we should take her to a vet...does anyone have any experience with Berkeley Dog and Cat as a vet? They say they take chickens.

Anyone get a chicken through this with out a vet???
    would love any and all advice, been reading from the VAST array of information on the subject on the www and am overwhelmed at this point...

2. ipana

ipana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    Yes, I've lived through sour crop multiple times with the same hen! Let me find the thread and post a link so you can read what was there. In short, Nystatin (1 cc per 2.2#) by mouth...easiest through a feeding tube...2-3 times a day. It is a yeast problem and Nystatin will treat that. Give baby food through a feeding tube 3X per day but not at the same time as the Nystatin. This will help keep the bird nourished since not much will be passing through. If you need Nystatin, contact Peter Brown at 1-800-950-8387. He may be able to help you. You may want to check with him about using it on such a young bird. My hen was 7 months with her first episode.

3. ipana

ipana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
  4. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Also, you can feed it plain yogurt (it has active bacteria that will help it) and use organic Apple cider vinager in its water. You should also massage its crop with an upwards motion. If you feel alot of fluid and gas, turn it 3/4 the way upside down massaging it crop to see if any more fluids come out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by