Sour Crop Really Bad!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SuperChickRuth, Feb 11, 2016.

1. SuperChickRuth

SuperChickRuth Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    HELP!!! We have one chicken, Cricket, who's got (almost certain) sour crop. Her crop is squishy, and when you massage it, brown liquid comes up. Or did. Now it's kinda slacking off. She's really, really lethargic: shaking slightly, but not moving. Not sure what to do! She just lies in the grass, face down, her beak opening and shutting slightly. I've read that red wine or apple cider vinegar helps, but how much, and when? We just noticed yesterday that she was not doing well, staying in the coop and standing still. This morning she's been throwing up, and not moving. Please help! We don't want to do drugs, though.

2. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you get her to a vet? It sounds like she needs emergency treatment right away.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sour crop can be fatal, so I would try a vet, or read as much as you can to help her. Sour crop may result from a crop impaction that has become rotten. It can be sometimes bacterial or fungal. Some people use plain yogurt, lots of water plus crop massage, while some use anti-fungal meds such as acidified copper sulfate in the water, Monistat 7 suppositories or cream given orally, and Nystatin from a vet. I don't have any experience treating it, but here are some links that may help you:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/digestive-problems/index.aspx
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630307/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat

4. SuperChickRuth

Feb 11, 2016
    Thank you so much! I seriously thought she was going to die, but she's much better now, praise the Lord! She seems hungry, and I've offered her yogurt, and ACV water. Is there anything else I can give her at this point?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad to hear that, but please read all of the links. Lets us know how she gets along.

6. SuperChickRuth

Feb 11, 2016
    Okay, and we just recently noticed that she has a huge swelling- like her whole abdomen is swollen. Is this connected to sour crop? She appears to be straining, I don't know if she's trying to get something out or what. Thanks!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't know exactly what that could be, but some suggestions could be ascites or fluid in the belly, egg yolk peritonitis if her lower belly is swollen or tight. She also may have something stuck in her digestive tract or gizzard, and she is having trouble passing droppings. Do you have any colace (docusate sodium) stool softener around the house? You could try giving her 2 of those which might help her "go" and also can help with her crop issue.

8. Beth77

Beth77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2015
    Scotland
    I lost two hens to the same thing. I made the mistake of trying to treat them at home. The best advice I can give is get her to the vets!

1 person likes this.
  9. SuperChickRuth

Feb 11, 2016
    Well, we've noticed she does have droppings in her crate- we've isolated her- and they're dark green and watery. She's only had a few bread cubes, soaked in olive oil, plain yogurt, and ACV water. Also, any advice on yolk peritonitis? What should I do if she really does have it?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would read about it by doing a search at the top of the page. Antibiotics such as Baytril are used to extend life, but there is no cure to EYP. A vet could Xray her to confirm the illness, but it is very common in chickens a couple of years and older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by