1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sour crop that won't go away

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miss Pearl, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Miss Pearl

Miss Pearl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    My 5 month old pullet has had crop issues since she was a month old. I have tried expelling her crop, taking away her food, yogurt and ACV to red wine. I purchased a crop bra that seems to work but she keeps getting her feet caught in it. When I remove it, her crop get huge again. Please give me any advise that would help her. I hate to see her live a life like this and I really don't won't to put her down. She has developed and weights the same as her sisters. Please help me. I feel desperate!

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I would change the feed first.

3. Miss Pearl

Aug 14, 2013
    What would you suggest? She's eating just laying pellets and no treat or corn.

4. Percheron chick

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The fastest way would be to take away the layer and give her straight single ingredients. Start with just corn since that is the greatest part of the layer. If things improve add one ingredient so you can isolate if it's food related. Keep adding one item every few days.
    Have you tried fermented feed?

5. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    X2 on fermenting. It will help balance yeast in the crop.

I also just read a post on using monistat to help with the yeast overgrowth in the crop...strange, I know, but should work great, in theory ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  6. Miss Pearl

Aug 14, 2013
    That's a great idea. What is fermented feed? I've never heard of it and can I purchase it from our local tractor supply or where to order it? I will try anything.

7. Percheron chick

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    There is a lengthy post in the feeding section on fermenting. Simple to do. Any feed, cover with water, stir and let sit 3+ days. Feed.

8. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Here's the thread on the FF(fermented Feeds)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them

It's looonnnggg lol but the main point is probiotics and prebiotics, like the beneficial microbes found in yogurt. Beneficial bacteria help maximize the potential of nutrients found in feed. You can ferment really easy and quick by adding some apple cider vinegar (MUST be whole, including the "mother", not pasteurized) to your feed, with enough water to cover and soak. The microbes in the ACV will colonize much like yeast in bread dough and those microbes are what we are after.

If you have yogurt on hand, that can help in a quick pinch for sour crop as well, but fermenting continuously can prevent any future episodes and increase overall vigor and health of the whole flock.

Plus, they love it ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by