Sour crop treatment?

ev-chicka

Chirping
May 21, 2019
I have a pullet with sour crop from what I can tell. Her crop has been squishy and full the last few days and she was doing a weird neck jerking movement.

I separated her and have forced her to vomit some of the fluid up once yesterday and once today. Also giving her ACV water and then some plain yogurt today.

I’m wondering if I’m doing all that I can and how long I should expect it to take to clear up. Do I need to keep forcing the fluid out a few times a day and limit her to water? Will I know she’s better when her crop is flat or no longer squishy?

Besides the neck jerking now and then she was otherwise acting normal.

Thanks in advance for any tips or first hand experience!

The article by @azygous is wonderful. There is another great article by @TwoCrows I think, too.

Please don’t vomit your chicken anymore, as it can be very dangerous. I have had success treating sour crop with clotrimazole antifungal vaginal cream

Found both articles helpful. The @TwoCrows article recommends vomiting just FYI. And I did it sparingly and carefully. I’ll try the yeast cream next! Thanks!

Haha yes, I got that!

Ok her crop is still full and saggy/doughy this morning.

It takes time. I was dosing my bird twice daily. Gentle crop massage can help, too. Can you post a photo? I wonder if she’s a candidate for a crop bra.

Also, just a heads up, often a slow crop stems from other issues. I would keep treating it, but also be aware it’s possible the crop issue is secondary and something else may need to be addressed. I was fortunate enough to have success with crop treatment alone, but thought so should throw it out there. Did you read the part about yeast fighting foods like lemon juice with cayenne? Also chopped kale and meat. I’ve stopped giving treats when I learned my leanest hen was carrying a healthy amount of fat, but there may still be a time and place for healthy, non-starchy treats like the kale and meatvI mentioned. Keep us posted.

Great! Glad you found them useful. I’ll go back and reread. :)

Giving first vaginal cream treatment now. The thing I’m not clear on iswhether to let her eat or not...I’ve read mixed messages. Should I just give her water with ACV, or also yogurt or also regular feed or wet feed?? Haha.

Thanks if anyone can offer what worked for them!

Back
Top Bottom