1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. FancyChiknGirl

FancyChiknGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2015
    I wasn't sure where to post this thread... 2 days ago I noticed one of my cuckoo marans standing off to herself, lethargic, not eating. One of her eyes looked matted shut. I picked her up and checked her out. She never tried to get down so i deffinately knew something wasnt right.as i was chexking her out, this clear, foul smelling liquid came pouring out her mouth. I took her away and put her to herself with food and water. That whole day I seen she hadn't eat so yesterday morning I Googled her symptoms and came across sour crop. All her symptoms matched. I read about using monistat. I went and bought some and also some terramycin eye ointment. I immediately got home, cut the monistat up into tiny pieces. I put the ointment on both of her eyes after wiping them with a warm, soft, wet cloth. It must have immediately helped as she was keeping them opened. I went back inside, put the tiny piece of monistat in a syringe, and put it under hot water to make it melt, and added just a smidgen of water to it to make it more liquidy as she won't eat anything. So I took this to her and slowly got her to take it. I put a little bit of apple cider vinegar in water and feed that to her in a syringe. She did take some of that as well. I tried feeding her some me worms that they all love and never turn down. She took a few bites, shook her head, and let out a little bit of that clear foul smelling liquid again which I an assuming is vomit. I left her alone for about an hour, went back and when I called her, she opened her eyes and let out a little cackle. Feeling very good about her change, I took some feed that I bought that had vitamins and protein and put a pinch in some water in a syringe to feed her. She slowly, very slowly, took it. I am about to go out there this morning. I wonder am I doing the right thing? My chickens mean the world to me and I'll do anything for them. I'm just scared because I don't want to loose her. We live in south Carolina and in the past two weeks since we had that flood (my coop was filled past my wist with water and I ran out there , swam in waist deep water and carried 24 chickens one by one to safety. I lost my bantam Cochin named rayne do to drowning before I could get out there to them). That really hurt my heart as she was my 11 year old son's favorite because she would perch on our arm and want you to pet her and she had this beautiful little sound she made. Like a happy sound. Anyways, I'm just worried and feel like I should being doing more. She is a cuckoo maran, 21 weeks old. Has anyone deat with sour crop?.oh, by the way, when Googling sour crop, it said their crop will feel like a water balloon, like mushy like and hers does as well. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
  3. FancyChiknGirl

FancyChiknGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2015
    Hey. I'm thankful someone responded! I will definately check the link you gave me for future reference. Unfortunately, I am really sad to say that Jasmine did not make it and passed away a few days later. I brought her inside in a crate and tried everything I could (home remedies, my instinct, google, backyard chicken threads, and more internet research); she just couldn't hold on anymore. She got to looking REALLY horrible in those few days of being sick and declined rapidly. She was my most friendly cuckoo maran. :-(

4. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by