Sour crop?

Snow chickens

Hatching
Apr 18, 2018
I have a two week old buckeye that smells bad. That’s the only symptom. She’s eating, growing, active. Is this sour crop? If so, suggested treatment? How serious does that sound? Will she recover by herself? We’re pretty remote, so not easy to get supplies.

If bad spell is the only symptom, then it can't be sour crop. If, however, she starts to get lethargic and looses weight, then it could be. She sounds like she's being a normal chicken—does the smell come from her head, back, rear, etc. More information would be helpful. :)

Thanks for the response. New here, and didn’t see you had until now. She still seems fine in all ways (eating, pooping, activity, growing) but she still stinks. It is from her head area. Most likely her mouth, but she wiggles so much I can’t be sure. Her crop is filling and emptying. So weird.

We have a 3 week old chick who smells like fake crab meat (sweet and fishy) from her mouth, so I'm curious about yours - has anything happened lately? What did yours smell like?

Nothing new. She’s still fine in all respects except she smells like yeast (beer, bread). I have her on avc and probiotics but she still smells. I’m thinking of trying a yeast infection treatment. I just hate to treat with medicine when she seems so healthy otherwise.

I was considering oregano oil since fishy can be bacterial maybe? But like you I don’t want to treat without symptoms. But then it seems that once chickens get bad enough to show symptoms it might be too late. On the other hand, if they’re pooping everything must be moving along.

(Seems whenever I’m watching for a poop they take forever. But we got a nice normal poop this morning )

That’s my worry. Generally chickens take a nose dive once you see they are sick. However, no one else seems to have experienced this, so no advice for me on what works... ☹️

There was another thread I found searching where a chicken had spots in their mouth, and their mouth smelled, and it was canker, I think. Couldn't find that thread, but this is a similar one:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ant-instructions-dosages.520069/#post-6622626

But it seems unlikely for a young chick to get this? And that smell seems more rotten like.

I'm just looking for possibilities, and learning about all these crazy diseases. Mainly hoping to have a few ideas in case she starts getting sick.

Did you ever get an answer for this? My 5.5 week old Japanese bantam rooster smells awfully sweet but has NO symptoms whatsoever (eating/pooing/drinking/running around acting insane :) ). I am paranoid that he will take a nose dive and trying to prevent. He gets apple cider vinegar since the day I got him, and I just fed him yogurt today (totally loved). Nothing seems to be wrong other than the sweet smell! (also definitely smells by head/neck but no white in his mouth and no crop issues that I can feel)

Sorry, just saw your post. Our chick grew up and is a fine adult. No longer smells fishy, but it took all the way to the first molt to stop, I think. We did end up with one rooster, not sure if he was the smelly one or not.

Back
Top Bottom