Sour Crop?

Apachefarm

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2018
I have a hen with multiple issues. She has been limping around for some time now, when it first started and did a full body exam on her, I assumed she sprained her leg somehow. As for the full body check, nothing out of the ordinary, I checked her again last week, still nothing & still limping. I checked on her Saturday and she now has mites! I deep cleaned the entire coop & dusted all my ladies. I did find one other with the mites.
Now last night I noticed her crop felt like a water balloon. I have read about this before, so I "drained" some out by tipping her upside down. Can this be cured?

Attachments

• 51A05419-1E75-40C1-9657-584744B85835.jpeg
    51A05419-1E75-40C1-9657-584744B85835.jpeg
    836.6 KB · Views: 5
Crop problems can accompany some other issues, such as when older hens get reproductive disorders such as internal laying, ascites, egg yolk peritonitis, or ascites. Sour crop can also occur after having an impacted crop for some time. Crop disorders also can be present with Mareks disease. Nystatin is a good antifungal drug that can treat sour crop. It is also sold online without a prescription as Medistatin which you can find here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/medistatin/

Many people use cold coconut oil pieces to feed, and miconazole cream (Equate monistat 7 at Walmart under $5) to treat sour crop. Here is some information on sour crop treatment and other problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I deep cleaned the entire coop & dusted all my ladies. I did find one other with the mites.
Now last night I noticed her crop felt like a water balloon. I have read about this before, so I "drained" some out by tipping her upside down. Can this be cured?

You checked her crop at night before she went to roost? Can you re-check it again first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks to see if it's empty?

It's hard to gauge crop function during the day or at night since most chickens have been eating/drinking all day and the crop really should be full at night when they go to roost.

Have you looked at the bottom of her feet to make sure there's no scabs?
What did you use to treat for mites?
When is the last time she laid an egg?

You may want to trim her nails a little too. I have a hen that needs a trim up now and again, she doesn't scratch around as much as the others to wear them down, she walks a little funny if I don't keep them trimmed up.

upload_2019-4-8_13-56-8.png

You checked her crop at night before she went to roost? Can you re-check it again first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks to see if it's empty?

It's hard to gauge crop function during the day or at night since most chickens have been eating/drinking all day and the crop really should be full at night when they go to roost.

Have you looked at the bottom of her feet to make sure there's no scabs?
What did you use to treat for mites?
When is the last time she laid an egg?

Back
Top Bottom