jabou29

Songster
Jan 1, 2022
Hello guys, I’m new to raising chicks and one of my Ameraucanas has an enlarged crop. The other chick does not and I noticed it enlarged yesterday afternoon and I believed it was because he or she is a bit of a fast eater but today I’ve noticed when I got home that it hasn’t gone down. I did google about it and it’s not an impaction because it’s not hard. It feels squishy and I can hear gurgling when I massage it. My vet doesn’t open till Monday. It’s still eating and drinking but I don’t want to over feed in case it indeed is a sour crop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I’ve attached two photos that I took today.

Attachments

• 301FC98E-E50E-409E-A342-F33B9CE29EFB.jpeg
    301FC98E-E50E-409E-A342-F33B9CE29EFB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • 9AAF8050-E2E5-4925-9550-8BED8505CFC4.jpeg
    9AAF8050-E2E5-4925-9550-8BED8505CFC4.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 5
What I have read and done is a couple things. They say female monastat cream give it to her a little bit. Also Greek yogurt. You need to separate her and give her water only. Also you can make her puke which I decided that I wasn't gonna do that hold her like a football tip her over for a couple seconds and do that 2 times and she will puke.

It is still possible to have an impacted crop that's liquidy. I had a similar problem when one of my chicks got a blockage.
16045002003355485800866675214967.jpg

What do you feed them, including treats?

I'd treat with coconut oil, & a crop massage. Offer some chick grit too.

Be sure to massage in a circular motion at a downward angle.

What I have read and done is a couple things. They say female monastat cream give it to her a little bit. Also Greek yogurt. You need to separate her and give her water only. Also you can make her puke which I decided that I wasn't gonna do that hold her like a football tip her over for a couple seconds and do that 2 times and she will puke.
Never vomit a chicken. They can aspirate their crop contents, & die.

It is still possible to have an impacted crop that's liquidy. I had a similar problem when one of my chicks got a blockage.View attachment 2947315

What do you feed them, including treats?

I'd treat with coconut oil, & a crop massage. Offer some chick grit too.

Be sure to massage in a circular motion at a downward angle.
Thank you I’ll get some yogurt and coconut oil tomorrow.

Thank you I’ll get some yogurt and coconut oil tomorrow.
I don't think the yogurt is necessary. Feed wet mash, or scrambled eggs for a nutritious meal while he's being treated. But not alot at a time.

Make sure S/he's drinking plenty of water.

You'll know if the crop massage is successful when you feel the contents move down, & the crop starts to shrink. Massages may need to be repeated.

If it has an impaction will it still poop if the food isn’t getting digested? At the moment I have it separated and loose in a small area in my room and the poop looks a bit hard but with liquid. I’ve attached a photo.

Attachments

• 166948C8-6E56-4AD9-BC3C-52CB22B59D9A.jpeg
    166948C8-6E56-4AD9-BC3C-52CB22B59D9A.jpeg
    822.4 KB · Views: 5
I don't think the yogurt is necessary. Feed wet mash, or scrambled eggs for a nutritious meal while he's being treated. But not alot at a time.

Make sure S/he's drinking plenty of water.

You'll know if the crop massage is successful when you feel the contents move down, & the crop starts to shrink. Massages may need to be repeated.
Ok, will do! Thank you!

If it has an impaction will it still poop if the food isn’t getting digested? At the moment I have it separated and loose in a small area in my room and the poop looks a bit hard but with liquid. I’ve attached a photo.
If there's still food in the digestive tract, & gizzard they'll still poop. My boy pooped for awhile before he pooped very little, or non at all. I got him fixed up though. His was bad.

Back
Top Bottom