Sour crop

Stephlorraine

Chirping
Apr 26, 2022
Is there any remedies or post sour crop advice? I had one with sour crop, it took weeks to get rid of. She got better after she got cut open and drained, then antibiotics and nilstat. She was better, then I put her back outside and within 2 days her crop was sour again. It didn’t take long to get it back down. After massaging and some acv she hasn’t ballooned back out. I’m thinking my girl is very sensitive to things. My other girl was impacted then developed some sour crop days after putting her out. Should I give the pens a good disinfect or is there something I can put in their waters to prevent it? I’m trying my best to get all the long straggly grass, try to pick up things that could be harmful in the yard. The acv seems to be keeping their crops down. I’m done purchasing nilstat, because it seems to take forever to clear their crops when on it.

Sorry to here about your hen.
What is her diet? When did she have surgery and what did the vet say? Sour crops isn't really an environmental issue so you cant clean it away.
Some birds are prone to crop issues.
Please note that when adding anything to their water, you need to provide a second source of fresh, plain water so they have a choice on what to drink. Also, all supplements should not be given more than 10 days in a row careful not to use acv on metal waters as it will cause zinc to leach and poison your birds.

Sorry to here about your hen.
What is her diet? When did she have surgery and what did the vet say? Sour crops isn't really an environmental issue so you cant clean it away.
Some birds are prone to crop issues.
Please note that when adding anything to their water, you need to provide a second source of fresh, plain water so they have a choice on what to drink. Also, all supplements should not be given more than 10 days in a row careful not to use acv on metal waters as it will cause zinc to leach and poison your birds.
She has a pretty plain diet to be honest. She doesn’t really like treats. She just looks at them haha. She had surgery 3 weeks ago. Just cut her crop open and let it drain and put some good bacteria in there and stitched her up. She hit her head on something and around her eye was swollen. I thought I was going to lose her, so I rang my vet and she cleared her crop and gave her an injection for the swelling. Her crop isn’t ballooned up anymore. You’re right, I’ll put another water in there for her. They’re all plastic feeders I have in there for her. I’m glad you told me that, my other one I’m treating has her water in a metal food bowl. I’ll change it over! They’re both better now, but just need some advice on how to prevent it from coming back.

She has a pretty plain diet to be honest.
Sorry, Which is what?
I’m glad you told me that, my other one I’m treating has her water in a metal food bowl. I’ll change it over! They’re both better now, but just need some advice on how to prevent it from coming back.
The metal water dish will be fine, it's only galvanized metals to worry about. There's not much you can do to prevent it, you can try probiotics but genetic issues that cause slow or sour crops from malfunctions will likely always be. You can try a crop bra if it appears that its hanging lower than it should.

Sorry, Which is what?

The metal water dish will be fine, it's only galvanized metals to worry about. There's not much you can do to prevent it, you can try probiotics but genetic issues that cause slow or sour crops from malfunctions will likely always be. You can try a crop bra if it appears that its hanging lower than it should.
My girl that had sour crop first, she’s on a pretty plain diet. I’ve never had issues with my other girl until she was impacted with grass. Nah their crops aren’t droopy or anything. I’ve been putting probiotics in their waters lately, but yeah, two days outside and their crops squishy? I was like oh come on. It’s so stressful.

My girl that had sour crop first, she’s on a pretty plain diet. I’ve never had issues with my other girl until she was impacted with grass. Nah their crops aren’t droopy or anything. I’ve been putting probiotics in their waters lately, but yeah, two days outside and their crops squishy? I was like oh come on. It’s so stressful.
I'm sorry but considering you've been purposely vague about what your birds diet, it almost impossible to tell you what to do to prevent this from happening.
We can't help you unless you're honest about all your details, we won't judge you, we want to help you have healthy and happy birds and we have many feed and ingredient experts that can help you build a better diet. It’s clear something needs to change, and sour crop is frequently caused by improper diet.

I'm sorry but considering you've been purposely vague about what your birds diet, it almost impossible to tell you what to do to prevent this from happening.
We can't help you unless you're honest about all your details, we won't judge you, we want to help you have healthy and happy birds and we have many feed and ingredient experts that can help you build a better diet. It’s clear something needs to change, and sour crop is frequently caused by improper diet.
I said her diet is pretty plain. Which means she eats her layer feed and doesn’t join in on having any treats. She eats grass when she free ranges. None of my other hens have sour crop. So it’s not what my flock is eating.

I said her diet is pretty plain. Which means she eats her layer feed and doesn’t join in on having any treats. She eats grass when she free ranges. None of my other hens have sour crop. So it’s not what my flock is eating.
And I wasn’t being purposely vague. If you wanted details, next time state that you want every detail.

How much acv did you add to her water? I also have a chicken that I think has a very sensitive crop, and I’m not eager to keep giving her meds orally as it’s always a battle to get her to open her mouth.

Back
Top Bottom