Sour crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rothes, Nov 11, 2010.

1. rothes

rothes New Egg

Nov 11, 2010
    Tonight I came home from work to one sick hen standing by the front door, comb black, dribbling from her beak . She is a very social bird, quite old, off the lay, but good looking and enjoys human company. Anyway I googled in "hen sick" came to this site and read some posts from about two years ago; a thread started by "kiwi chick", that led me to check her crop. it was swollen and spongy so I massaged it and out squirted a cupful of brown fluid, followed by something fibrous that she gobbled back down before I could get it.
    I've left her with some bread and milk, after trying to get some crushed garlic and yoghurt into her, unsuccessfully.
    Thanks for all the advice.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Did you find the thread links under index, FAQ, sour crop? There are about 8 of them. I've never dealt with this, I'd be reading them myself if it did.

3. rothes

rothes New Egg

Nov 11, 2010
    Index,emergencies,injuries and diseases, cures, got me to the thread. Lonely (my hen) is at least no worse today, perhaps a little better with a healthier looking comb.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Try feeding her small pieces of bread soaked with olive oil

5. rothes

rothes New Egg

Nov 11, 2010
    Lonely came inside this morning, pecking around looking for scraps and company, so she's well on the mend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by