Sour crop

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
We had our first case of sour crop this past week which was also accompanied by a wry neck. Nice treating both things!!

I was unable to secure some nystatin, so I purchased some clotrimezole vagina cream and gave the hen 1cc orally twice a day. Today her crop was way down with only a little of the liquid...and no smell anymore. I posted this to let folks know that it is safe and works great!

Unfortunately, we also have to treat her with prednisone/vit. E/Selenium for wry neck which is also much better. She's had her head up all day today!!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the advice. I had one with sour crop that had been isolated for a week...I just couldn't get her better. Finally, she is doing well and back out with the flock. However, I will give this a try if it happens again.

I want to try using the vaginal cream for a sour crop that I have been treating for over a month. But, could only find miconzole. Is it close enogh to the clotrimezole.

what are you treating the sour crop with ? Is it really vaginal cream ? and if it is why does it work in the crop ? Sorry I just don't understand and really would like too . Thanks ~~~ Tammy

She started out by eating a mouse. I found her with a huge crop soft and squishy. With a hard round item in it (mouse head). and of course the sour smell.
I drained the crop and have tried gentian violet, castor oil and backing soda.
It was suggested that she needed grit, ended up that that came out with one of the drainings that I did about every 3rd day
What helped move things was the castor oil. However I think that is hard on the chicken.
I found a post that said to do ACV in water for 3 days then do the Yogurt.
That seems to be working, as I have not drained her crop any more.
I found this post giving clotrimezole vagina cream and thought it might work faster,
I cannot buy the nystatin because it requires a prescription

edited to add
Why it should work, the sour crop is a form of yeast infection

Last edited:
Got it thank you , I didn't realize that sour crop was a form of yeast infection . I haven't had a case of it here and hope not too . But would like to be prepared for that just in case moment ~~ thanks again ~~~ Tammy

Back
Top Bottom