Sour crop

Chicklette 1

Songster
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Kentucky
Should a birds crop feel relatively solid or is it OK if it is somewhat spongey? Trying to determine if my hen has sour crop or not. She is broody, so I cannot tell by her behavior so much as all she does is sit in the nest box all day.

The crop should feel full but soft during the day when your chicken is eating normally. If the crop is sour, your chicken's breath will smell bad. Try opening her mouth and smelling around her mouth area. If her crop is sour it will smell bad. The crop should feel empty in the morning, before your chicken has had anything to eat or drink. I've never had a broody hen, though. From what I've read I would guess it would feel rather empty if she hasn't eaten in several hours.

with my little hen there is a difference with a normal crop it feels soft but if she gets sour crop it is puffy soft it that makes sense. The best time to check is in the morning so if its empty. With a broody I sometimes find that the crop is not totally empty as they move around so little but it should be majority empty

Back
Top Bottom