Sour crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nicole01, May 20, 2012.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I swear my issues with my flock are never ending. First it's bumble foot, which I stalked up on vet wrap(awesome stuff), boric acid mix and now my Brahma has sour crop.

I'm hoping I'm doing this right! Her crop is 3-5x's the normal size the other morning, so I felt it and it was squishy. She's perky and tail up, but I did not want to wait on this. She's had sour crop 3 times as a chick, I'm assuming she prone to it. Almost dying the first time as a baby.(just on starter feed). Plus, she always threw up liquid on her own frequently until she was a year old.

Anyways, her mouth didn't smell, but I emptied part of her crop leaning her forward and the wrenchiest pukiest liquid came out, then about a dozen army worms and other nasty stuff. It smelt like gut rot. I let her be for a while and repeated the process later that day when she came up for water.

I mixed water, probios, and a little olive oil mixture and put it at the base of her beak. She did not fight me. I did that once after the first empty.

Yesterday I noticed her crop is still squishy, so I repeated the process. Yuckier stuff came out with some more worms. I repeated the mixture, but added 125mg of amoxicillian. This time she fought me with the mixture. Her crop went down to normal!

Do I try this again today? Or leave her alone. This is my 9 year old daughters bird and there are no vets near here that will look after chickens.

I don't know if she's pooping normally. It was 90 outside and the flock stayed in the cool woods until sundown.

Is sour crop a blockage? Do I need to be more worried?

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Yay! No squishy crop this morning! It's fixed completely!! She pooped a ton and is back to her normal loud self!!! :D :D :D :D

3. Suzierd

Suzierd Crowing

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    What are army worms? That don't sound good. Great to hear she's all better.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    They are worms that turn into moths. We usually have an infestation every other year.

5. Suzierd

Suzierd Crowing

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Oh that's good, she just likes to eat them. :D

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It's a goldmine of endless supply of these caterpillars/worms. The hens love them.

I'm not quite sure what caused the sour crop, but I gave her another mixture of probiotics, antibiotics and less oil. She fought me the whole time. I try my best to put it at the tip of the beak while leaning her slightly forward. Last thing I need is her to aspirate and get pnemounia.

7. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Songster

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I have to try that on one of my 3 week old chicks. S/he looks to have a swollen, off-center crop. I gave it some olive oil in a syringe last night, 2x and massaged it. I'm not sure, it could've been swollen because of drinking a lot of water - when I refilled their water container, they hung around the watering hole for a few minutes....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: