sour crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Handyhens, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Handyhens

Handyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    my four month old rsl has a crop that feels like a water balloon. when her crop is pressed she "burps" and sometimes white fluid comes out her beek. we gave her yoghurt and tomorrow if it has not gone down we are putting her in iso. she layed her first (shelless) egg yesterday, could that have caused the problem? please tell me how to treat her in iso,thanks!

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    It sounds like sour crop. DO NOT make her throw up. I made this mistake. and lost a good SS pullet. She seemed to be improving. On day 4 she started making a rattling sound while breathing, then she died. Throwing up made her get aspiration.

Isolate your chicken. Give your hen plain water after 12hrs (unless it's extremely hot where you are at). Offer a small amount of yogart with probiotics after 24hrs. Then give her this for a few days. Her crop should be empting each night.

The egg laying did not cause this. Sour crop is a yeast infection in the chicken's crop. Hope this helps.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  4. Handyhens

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    I checked on her this morning and her crop has emptied, so I don't think it was s sour crop. She's acting normal, should I still restrict food

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If her crop emptied over night and she is acting normal then no, I would not restrict food. I would just let her go about her business and keep an eye on her.

6. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    It still could have been sour crop. The way you described it was like a water balloon. That is a sign of sour crop. I would go ahead with water, and offer a small amount of feed possibly mixed in yogart. Take it slow, because it can come right back. IWIW60 gave good info on her above post. Good luck! We would like updates please[​IMG]

7. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I agree with you @Outpost JWB entirely. I, too, still say it was a sour crop...glad to hear she's doing better now!

8. Handyhens

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    So, I gave her food, but it started to feel water-baloony again., so I am thinking impaction. I gave her olive oil and massages. The she pooped and it looked weird
    [​IMG]
    Does this look weird and if so should I isolate her?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sour crop should smell kind of rotten--if her crop is getting like a balloon but soft and squishy, she may just have a slow crop. If you massage a big full crop, sometimes they can aspirate. Also sour crop is not the same as impacted crop, which would feel hard. As long as it is empty in the morning it should be fine. Many diseases such as coccidiosis, Mareks, diseases, and others can cause a slow moving crop. There is also pendelous crop from overeating and stretching out of the crop muscles. I'm not saying this isn't sour crop, just pointing out the possibilities. Here's another link to read: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

10. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My favorite hen had sour crop. I made her vomit and she did aspirate a little. I ended up more worried about that than the sour crop. Fortunately the amount she aspirated was small enough that she is ok. Aspiration is DEADLY. The sour crop cure was giving her FLAT coke. I studied how to administer because I was aspiration freaked out by that point. Just let her stand upright in your lap. Hold the waddles with your left hand until she calms down and drop a SMALL amount in the front of her beak with your right hand and let her swallow on her own and repeat. (A good way to administer liquid medicine). After a bit of flat coke she will have a blow out. I repeated it over 2 days, once a day. I gave her soft cooked egg and bananas to eat and a friend gave me Sav-A-Chick probiotics and electrolytes for her water. I also put a bit of honey in her water. I'm sharing because I saw so many conflicting posts for sour crop. Some say give ACV and some say absolutely not. I didn't because it made sense to me not to put vinegar into a sour crop. I did put a small amount of baking soda into the water with honey the first day and her breath was sweet by the second day but grain from 2 days before was still in her crop, this, the coke for the blow out. Baking soda made sense to me to neutralize the sour. Some say to induce vomiting and some say absolutely not (because of aspiration issues, I now agree). The flat coke was from a friend that has treated sour crop successfully and no harm if administered like I described. The other way, down the throat, is complex and dangerous. I hope this helps someone.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by