Sour or impacted crop?

Bluemonster107

Songster
Apr 16, 2019
Fresno, California
i was doing a search through other post on the subject but wasn’t entirely helpful... one of my coturnix quail developed a swollen crop this evening... I mess with them often throughout the day and it wasn’t until about 8pm where it was prominent.
So my question is... what is the typical cause of this? And what can I do for her?

@Tycine1 ... well the food and water are there 24/7... but I did check her this morning before a full day of gorging! Ha
Not smelly.. and much flatter!! But still had that slight pooch to it... didn’t even think it could be just because she was full..... so besides just being full... is there anything that can be done to prevent a case ?

If anything like chickens, crop will be full at times during the day and especially as they go to roost at night.
If you're concerned.....
Feel crop at night after dark and pull feed, then check crop in morning to make sure it's gone down before giving feed back.

Checked super early this morning and sure enough... gone... so this “fullness” can be at times from just pigging out?
First time I had seen it in my birds so anything out of the ordinary causes me concern

Checked super early this morning and sure enough... gone... so this “fullness” can be at times from just pigging out?
First time I had seen it in my birds so anything out of the ordinary causes me concern
Excellent news about her crop functioning properly! A crop isn't exactly like a stomach, it doesn't actually process the food... think of it like a holding tank that will empty contents into the digestive tract as needed. Birds don't seem to realize when their crop is full, they seemingly just keep stuffing it as long as there's goodies to stuff it with. It's important to note that some of that volume is water, and the hotter it is, the more water they drink, the bigger their crop gets :d Also note, that as we come into the heat of the year, that all that water will make for looser stools that make their poop look to be diarrhea... and there will be a lot of white coloring in their poop along with whatever other coloring is going on with their excrement at the time (green, brown, and deep dark mud among other normal colors)... that white stuff is the urates (bird pee), and absolutely nothing to be worried about.

@Tycine1 .... thank you so much for the explanation... I love learning new things!!
It does explain that... she is my biggest pig... but she is my favorite! Lol
She is the reason I had to change the birds to a “no waste” (less waste) feeder... she loves to pig out and throw feed everywhere

Attachments

• F258B911-456F-421C-8296-80FF6F793760.jpeg
    F258B911-456F-421C-8296-80FF6F793760.jpeg
    819 KB · Views: 3
I use a large garden bowl... I had a picture from amazon with link posted, but the link didn't work after I posted it, so edited this to remove the link. I'll have to describe the bowl as heavy, large, flat bottomed. The chickens can stand on the rim without tipping it over, large enough across to let them climb in, high enough (depth) to allow them the pleasure of kicking the feed AND keeping most of the feed in the bowl as it hits the side and drops back down into it. I tried several no-waste options, considered several others, tried the feed store options... nothing I tried worked as well as my garden planter.

Back
Top Bottom