1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sour Salt Question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by OldGuy43, Feb 22, 2013.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a recipe that calls for sour salt and I'm having trouble finding any. Since sour salt is really just citric acid can I just crush some organic vitamin C tablets to make some?

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I'd Google it and see if you can find any information on it.

3. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Usually you can buy both citric acid and ascorbic acid in the canning section at most stores. In comes in a container like a spice shaker or a small tub. You can just crush the tablets but it takes a lot and they are hard to crush. We dissolved them in a small amount water at one point to dip apples in to keep them browning which worked fine. 'What are you using it for?

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Found it! Well, OldGal found it. It was in a container that looked like a pill bottle, and someone had put it in the Pharmacy vitamin section.

I have a recipe for sourdough bread that uses it (optionally) to add extra tang.

5. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We do that too. Don't use too much though.it can overpower quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by