Source for good Dominiques?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Jungleexplorer, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    I bought a really nice Dominique rooster from a top breeder at a poultry show, but there were no hens for sale. I want to get some hens for him but I don't know where to look for good birds. I ordered some Cubalaya chicks from Ideal this summer and have been really disappointed with the quality of their chicks. I ordered Black Breasted Reds (BBR), but what I got is something that does not even look similar to a BBR. On top of that, they seem to have some kind of a genetic defect that causes them to suddenly die. A six month old cockerel (from Ideal) just fell over and died this morning in front of my eyes. This is the fifth Ideal bird to do this. I have 30 chickens of different breeds and none of them do this.

I am wondering if anyone has ordered Dominiques from a hatchery? If so, who from and what has been your experience with their birds? Thanks.

2. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I wouldn't purchase from a hatchery if you want good Dominiques, unless it was Urch/Turnland.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Sam Brush-APA President & fellow Texan has Dominiques. don't know if he has any for sale or not.

4. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Contact one of the Dominique Club of America officers. They will be able to direct you to a breeder in Texas if there is one that they know of. http://www.dominiqueclub.org/

5. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop

It was form Sam that I bought the cockerel. He said he did not have any pullets for sale right now. Said he might have some next year, but stupid me, I forgot to give him my number to call me when he does. This cockerel is my wife's pet and she is pushing me to get him a hen asap. Thought I would post here and see if one turns up.

6. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop

Thanks. Will do.

7. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    Deleted accidentally double post.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    If you just want some Dominiques I suppose it doesn't matter where you get your females. If you actually plan to seriously breed them you'd be better off waiting to get some from Sam & breeding within the strain. I think Sam's are pretty good.

9. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    Sent Sam an email last night. He told me the name of the person who's strain my cockerel came from, but I have a bad memory for names. Seems like it was a woman's name. He said it like I should know it, so I am assuming she is well know in the dominique world.

10. ksamiams

ksamiams New Egg

Nov 7, 2012
    Looking for Dominique Rooster in Virginia....Nice rooster..granddaughter just getting started with 8 hens...

Charlottesville, Va....willing to travel an hour or so if have to to get one....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by