Source for hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heksa, Nov 16, 2010.

1. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Hi

I'm thinking about hatching some chicks around Easter time.
    Not many. I was thinking 10-20, but a mixture of breeds.

I'm almost decided on the "assortment of bantams" from MyPetChicken, but wanted to hear where you get your eggs.

I would prefer to get them locally without the need to ship, but I do not know anyone and it would probably be impossible to get a bunch of different breeds. I think.
    How would I go about finding eggs locally?

I will also be looking for call duck eggs for my hubby. Would any hatcheries have both (chickens and duck eggs)?

Also, how soon should I place an order to ensure getting them in time for Easter to hutch?
    I mean, I know I need to get them in hand about a month before … but aren’t the hatcheries overwhelmed before Easter, and is there a chance they may run out of eggs if I don’t reserved them in advance?

I know, we haven’t even had Christmas yet … but I’m getting excited about the hatching project. [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

There are many of us here on BYC that sell hatching eggs. Also many who would be in the position to sell you an assortment of different breeds.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Yes, and you may even find some of us that meet those needs locally, or close enough to drive at least. Look up your states thread in the "Where am I? Where are you?" section on here and see what folks have to offer.

Edited to add: By the way, your English is better than mine, and I'm a native speaker [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  4. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    thanks

I have already enlisted myself on Indiana list. There is about a hundred of people, but not very many active, I think.

I will have to work through the list, I guess. ;-)

Thanks, Cindiloohoo, for the compliment. [​IMG]

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    There should be several close to you on the Indiana thread. Sometimes those threads don't move very much. You could check signature lines for those who list there birds and PM those people to see if they will have any available in that time frame. Sometimes it's difficult to reach folks on here when you have specific things you are wanting. Lots of threads get lost in the shuffle relatively fast. Just keep trying though. I'm sure you'll find someone [​IMG] I have found several within driving distance to get eggs and birds from on here. It's always nice to meet a BYC'er too! Honestly, some of the best people you could ever hope to meet! Good luck in your search!!

6. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by