Source for non GM food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kello500, Jun 11, 2011.

1. kello500

kello500 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I was wondering if anyone has a source they buy from for non genetically modified feed? I am looking into growing my own chicken feed. Until then I need to feed them whatever I can buy. I'm feeding Purina right now but I'm not sure I trust it. I know their cat/dog food is poor quality.

I checked with my local feed store and he had no idea what I was talking about. He recommended scratch for a full time feed. I said I heard that it raises a chickens body temperature so would it be a good idea during summer? Again, he had no idea what I was talking about.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

2. 5chicks4us

5chicks4us Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    The only feed you'll find that is GMO free would be organic. I would call around to nearby feed stores to see if they carry it (probably not) or they could order it (better chance of this). Our feed store will order it for us as long as we place an order far enough in advance.

Do not feed them scratch as feed. It doesn't have enough nutrients and should be used strictly as a treat.

3. 5chicks4us

5chicks4us Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Forgot to add, you could always try ordering some online from Azure Standard. It's a co-op/drop-off site type seller though so you kind of have to jump through some hoops to get it.

4. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:

5. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    Countryside has organic, soy-free, non-GMO feed. They also have local distributors all over the country. The only problem I have with it is that it's mash and my chickens waste a LOT of feed and it is not cheap.

http://www.countrysideorganics.com/home.php

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Hiland Naturals in Ohio has both Non GMO & Organic feed, but I don't know where you are located. I know they definitely sell a few places in Texas & PA also. Other than that you just have organic that is non GMO that I know of.

7. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    I don't know where you are, but here in Washington state I buy from Scratch and Peck. It is all locally grown and GMO-free, and soy free. I don't know if they ship to other areas.

8. Tommie D

Tommie D Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Wichita KS
    Quote:Not 100% true, as quite a few of the feed manufactures that produce "GMO Free Feed" are not certified or listed as "Organic". Then again, I'm sure some of the organic feeds manufactures use GMO grains as I don't see anything in the NOP list against it, but I'm still doing research on it.

Edit: After doing more research I did find Policy Memo 11-13 dated April 15, 2011 that does restrict the use of GMO's in Organic Production & Handling. So you can scratch the "Then again, I'm sure some of the organic feeds manufactures use GMO grains as I don't see anything in the NOP list against it, but I'm still doing research on it." part out of my post.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  9. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
  10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:Not 100% true, as quite a few of the feed manufactures that produce "GMO Free Feed" are not certified or listed as "Organic". Then again, I'm sure some of the organic feeds manufactures use GMO grains as I don't see anything in the NOP list against it, but I'm still doing research on it.

GMO grains are not allowed in organic feed. It does depend on how well the sources are tested and how often. Unfortunately there is probably no grains 100% GMO free. I think organic allows 3% or something like that. Why would organic feeds use GMO grains?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by