Sourdough starter? How do you make it?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by WriterofWords, Jan 17, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I was going to bring some starter home with me from Odessa with the wonderful pumpkin bread and pecans Skand was giving me, but it's still there with the wonderful pumpkin bread and pecans. [​IMG]
    How do you make it?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    In Italian we call it a Biga, a dough starter. I have some dough starter that may well be 40 yrs old my grandma gave me and have heard of some bakeries that have some from their original recipes of over a hundred yrs old. My Biga starts with a small hunk of the finished bread I add some warm water 1/2 cup, and a teaspoon of yeast, I prefer cake type yeast, and 1 small pinch of sugar, I melt the cake yeast in the warm water with my fingers, mix it all up a bit with your fingers and let it set in the fridge covered. When you want to use it just grab a handful and add to your recipe. never use up all of your Biga, it is the cardinal rule.

AL

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
  4. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:From one Italian to another, that is seriously cool. [​IMG]

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    What part of Italy are you or yours from, don't hold this against me PC, But I am from Palermo Sicily.

Alfonso

6. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    Mine over-flowed the jar, made a mess, I got frustrated and quit.

Maybe I will try it again...

7. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I'm embarrased to say I'm not all that sure. 6 of my 8 great grandparents came through Ellis Island so that makes me 3rd generation Italian American. I know at least 2 came from the Modena area and I believe 2 came from Naples. One of my grandfathers is still alive and kickin at 87.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    WoW - PM me your address and I'll send you some of mine. I have a couple batches going out to BYC members this week.

the1much got his starter from me as did a couple dozen other BYCers. LOL

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I had one but I murdered it. [​IMG]

I will beg and plead for another chance once I get moved.

10. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Drum was stirring his dish of MP's yeast last night and says "I like the smell of yeast. As soon as we opened that package Dad it's been in my head". It's become "his" because he takes care of it and has even been caught talking to it. It's now a fixture in our kitchen and I need to freeze some since it has grown so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by